Jan 27, 2011, 3:52 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Nyjer Morgan faces plenty of pressure to return to form in 2011.
As the Washington area digs itself out of a snowstorm that has left everyone in a sour mood, perhaps some solace can be taken from one heart-warming thought: Pitchers and catchers report in less than three weeks.
Indeed, baseball season is nearly upon us, and members of the Nationals are already starting to trickle in to Space Coast Stadium in Viera, the slow build-up to the first official day of spring training on February 15.
There will be no shortage of players drawing attention throughout camp, some of them stars like Ryan Zimmerman, Jayson Werth and Stephen Strasburg (who will soon begin throwing for the first time since undergoing Tommy John surgery). But there will be another group of players who should draw significant attention this spring, not only for who they are but for what their performances this season could mean for a Nationals club trying to escape the NL East basement for the first time in four years.
On CSNwashington.com, I take a look at four members of the roster who will be particularly scrutinized throughout spring training: Jordan Zimmermann, Nyjer Morgan, Danny Espinosa and Bryce Harper.
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Rockies, 8:40 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Rockies, 8:40 p.m.
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants
- Nats fan sports 'Curly W' beard (PHOTO)
- State of the Nats: 9-game road trip begins Monday
- Resurgent Zimmerman leads Nats' potent lineup
- Werth, Rendon, scouting come together in Nats win
- Instant analysis: Nats 5, Brewers 4
- Nationals try to overcome pinch-hitting woes