Jan 27, 2011, 6:52 PM EST
The Nationals designated outfielder Justin Maxwell for assignment today, clearing space on their 40-man roster for reliever Todd Coffey.
Maxwell, an Olney native who was drafted out of the University of Maryland in 2005, never saw his career take off with the Nationals despite a number of stints in the big leagues the last two years.
In 122 total games in the majors, Maxwell hit .201 with nine homers and 26 RBI. The outfielder did have a knack for producing in clutch situations; he hit three grand slams in six career plate appearances with the bases loaded, including a walk-off game-winner against the Mets in the 2009 home finale at Nationals Park.
Maxwell, 27, has 10 days to either be traded, released or clear waivers and be outrighted to the minors.
His removal from the 40-man roster coincides with the addition of Coffey, the veteran right-hander who came to terms with the Nationals last week on a one-year contract after spending last season with the Brewers.
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper hangs with Jordan, Jeter, Manning, RG3 & others
- Braves' Freeman: 'I think we’re going to surprise a lot of people'
- 2015 outlook: Miami Marlins
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Nate McLouth
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Kevin Frandsen
- Watch Werth arrive at jail in Fairfax to begin sentence
- Braves trade Hale, sign former Nats catcher
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Angels
- Nationals roster preview: Jose Lobaton