Jan 27, 2011, 6:52 PM EDT
The Nationals designated outfielder Justin Maxwell for assignment today, clearing space on their 40-man roster for reliever Todd Coffey.
Maxwell, an Olney native who was drafted out of the University of Maryland in 2005, never saw his career take off with the Nationals despite a number of stints in the big leagues the last two years.
In 122 total games in the majors, Maxwell hit .201 with nine homers and 26 RBI. The outfielder did have a knack for producing in clutch situations; he hit three grand slams in six career plate appearances with the bases loaded, including a walk-off game-winner against the Mets in the 2009 home finale at Nationals Park.
Maxwell, 27, has 10 days to either be traded, released or clear waivers and be outrighted to the minors.
His removal from the 40-man roster coincides with the addition of Coffey, the veteran right-hander who came to terms with the Nationals last week on a one-year contract after spending last season with the Brewers.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
OCT. 7: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats
- Zimmermann named NL Player of the Week for 2nd time this year
- Nats' plan to stay fresh before Game 1 of the NLDS
- Denard Span sets Nats hits record to add to special day
- Zimmermann earns no-hitter through team effort (VIDEO)
- Perfect storm for Zimmermann to make magic
- Nats' Ramos shares moment in Zimmermann's no-hitter