Jan 28, 2011, 4:07 PM EDT
Mike Rizzo has officially served as GM of the Nationals for 17 months (22 months if you count the period from March-August 2009 when held an interim title) and it's no secret he's made some significant changes during that time.
There has been an overhaul of his front office. There has been an overhaul of the coaching staff, including at the managerial position. And there has been an overhaul of the roster Rizzo inherited from former GM Jim Bowden.
How much overhaul? A lot.
It's not uncommon for a new GM to make some changes upon taking over a franchise. Usually, his views on roster assemblage differ from the guy he replaced, so no one's surprised when a bunch of new players are acquired to replace a bunch of holdovers.
But the Nationals' roster overhaul in the last 22 months includes far more change than you'd typically see in such a short time frame. Nearly 58 percent of the players on the current 40-man roster were acquired by Rizzo. Yes, 58 percent of the players on the Nationals'Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Monday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Monday's games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1
- Barrett's role expanding with September surge