Feb 2, 2011, 4:07 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Bryce Harper might be the most-watched player in Nationals camp this spring.
The home clubhouse at Space Coast Stadium this spring will house a 31-year-old right fielder who owns the 14th-largest contract in baseball history. It will house a two-time Silver Slugger who is arguably the best third baseman in the game. It will house perhaps the greatest catcher of all-time, inching ever closer to 3,000 career hits. And it will house a phenom right-hander whose every move last season became national news.
Yet the player who likely will draw more attention than any of them, or anyone else in a Nationals uniform, will be an 18-year-old with no chance of making the Opening Day roster or even reaching the major leagues in 2011.
Bryce Harper is about to become the center of attention at spring training, a teenager appearing in big-league camp despite having yet to play a regular-season game in the minor leagues.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Embattled Desmond: "I'm gonna get through it"
- Span likely to make season debut Sunday
- Phillies 5, Nats 3: Desmond's woes open door for Phillies
- Nats waiting for MRI on Escobar's groin strain
- Zimmermann tries to lead Nats to 4th straight W
- Impressive Scherzer giving Nats lots of innings
- Nats 7, Phillies 2: Harper homers, Scherzer cruises
- Escobar leaves Nats game with strained groin
- Stammen on season-ending surgery: "Bring it on"
- Marlins catcher not happy after getting benched: 'Yeah I’m mad'