Feb 2, 2011, 7:38 PM EST
Martis outrighted to Syracuse
The Nationals have traded outfielder Justin Maxwell to the Yankees, with New York sending minor-league right-hander Adam Olbrychowski to Washington.
Maxwell had been designated for assignment last week when the Nationals needed to clear space on their 40-man roster. The club had 10 days to either release him, hope he passed through waivers unclaimed and then send him outright to the minor leagues or work out a trade with another club. The Yankees came calling, agreeing to acquire the 27-year-old Olney native and former University of Maryland star.
A fourth-round pick in the 2005 draft, Maxwell struggled to produce with any consistency during several stints with the Nationals over the last two years. In 122 total games, he hit .201 with nine homers and 26 RBI, though he did hit three grand slams in six career plate appearances with the bases loaded.
Olbrychowski, 24, was the Yankees' fifth-round pick in the 2007 draft out of Pepperdine University. The 6-foot-3 right-hander struggled as a starter but posted strong numbers the last two seasons as a reliever. In 32 combined games with Class A Tampa and Class AA Trenton last
Read more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- A reason for fans of each MLB team to be thankful
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach
- Nats roster review: Matt Thornton
- Report: Nats interested in trading Papelbon and Storen
- Is O'Day worth the price tag to the Nationals?
- Nationals roster review: Aaron Barrett
- Nats sign pair of veterans to minor-league deals