Feb 2, 2011, 7:38 PM EDT
Martis outrighted to Syracuse
The Nationals have traded outfielder Justin Maxwell to the Yankees, with New York sending minor-league right-hander Adam Olbrychowski to Washington.
Maxwell had been designated for assignment last week when the Nationals needed to clear space on their 40-man roster. The club had 10 days to either release him, hope he passed through waivers unclaimed and then send him outright to the minor leagues or work out a trade with another club. The Yankees came calling, agreeing to acquire the 27-year-old Olney native and former University of Maryland star.
A fourth-round pick in the 2005 draft, Maxwell struggled to produce with any consistency during several stints with the Nationals over the last two years. In 122 total games, he hit .201 with nine homers and 26 RBI, though he did hit three grand slams in six career plate appearances with the bases loaded.
Olbrychowski, 24, was the Yankees' fifth-round pick in the 2007 draft out of Pepperdine University. The 6-foot-3 right-hander struggled as a starter but posted strong numbers the last two seasons as a reliever. In 32 combined games with Class A Tampa and Class AA Trenton last
Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- The good, the bad and the ugly of Nats camp
- Zimmermann perfect against Sabathia, Yankees
- Fister could be ready for season's first week
- Zimmermann leads Nats against Yankees' Sabathia
- Injuries highlight the importance of rotation depth
- Gio Gonzalez starts strong, but Astros top Nationals
- Bryce Harper repping new eye black company
- Gonzalez faces Astros under the lights in Viera
- Should Desmond be the Nationals' No. 2 hitter?
- Strasburg settles down, Nats rout Cardinals 11-1