Feb 2, 2011, 10:25 PM EDT
The Nationals announced the signings of reliever Cla Meredith and Alex Cora to minor-league contracts today, offering both players invitations to big-league camp this spring.
Meredith, 27, owns a 3.62 ERA in 286 career appearances with the Red Sox, Padres and Orioles. A Richmond native who pitched in college at VCU, he was a trusted setup man for San Diego for several seasons, before struggling in 2010. The sidearm-throwing right-hander went 0-2 with a 5.40 ERA in 21 appearances with Baltimore, then continued to labor at Class AAA Norfolk (posting a 6.00 ERA in 20 games).
Meredith does have a history of success in the National League, owning a 3.26 ERA and 1.306 WHIP over 237 1/3 innings. He'll have a tough time cracking the Nats' Opening Day bullpen, though, with Drew Storen, Tyler Clippard, Sean Burnett, Todd Coffey, Doug Slaten and Henry Rodriguez clearly ahead of him on the organizational depth chart.
Cora, whose signing was reported several weeks ago, figures to have a shot at making the Nationals' big-league roster as a utility infielder. The 35-year-old has spent parts of the last 13 seasons in the majorsRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- The Baseball Show: How good will Bryce Harper be in 2014?
- Podcast: Baseball in The District - Sammy Solis talks spring
- Harper, Detwiler lead Nationals against Mets
- Purke, Taylor among latest round of Nats cuts
- Has Jimmy Rollins been benched in Philly?
- Roark gives up 3 runs in Nats loss
- Nationals split up to face Astros, Braves
- Prospects Cole, Rivero cut from big-league camp
- Desperate Braves sign Santana for $14 million
- The good, the bad and the ugly of Nats camp