Feb 2, 2011, 10:25 PM EST
The Nationals announced the signings of reliever Cla Meredith and Alex Cora to minor-league contracts today, offering both players invitations to big-league camp this spring.
Meredith, 27, owns a 3.62 ERA in 286 career appearances with the Red Sox, Padres and Orioles. A Richmond native who pitched in college at VCU, he was a trusted setup man for San Diego for several seasons, before struggling in 2010. The sidearm-throwing right-hander went 0-2 with a 5.40 ERA in 21 appearances with Baltimore, then continued to labor at Class AAA Norfolk (posting a 6.00 ERA in 20 games).
Meredith does have a history of success in the National League, owning a 3.26 ERA and 1.306 WHIP over 237 1/3 innings. He'll have a tough time cracking the Nats' Opening Day bullpen, though, with Drew Storen, Tyler Clippard, Sean Burnett, Todd Coffey, Doug Slaten and Henry Rodriguez clearly ahead of him on the organizational depth chart.
Cora, whose signing was reported several weeks ago, figures to have a shot at making the Nationals' big-league roster as a utility infielder. The 35-year-old has spent parts of the last 13 seasons in the majorsRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats announce McLouth signing, DFA Corey Brown
- MLB's Rangers draft NFL quarterback Russell Wilson
- PHOTO: Jerry Blevins very excited to be a National
- Nationals lose catcher Nieto in Rule 5 draft
- Michael Morse signs with San Francisco Giants
- MLB rules committee votes to outlaw home plate collisions
- 3 deals in 10 days leave Nats in good shape
- Rizzo: Blevins was Nationals' best option
- Former Nats OF Jerry Hairston, Jr. retires from MLB
- Nats get lefty Blevins from A's for prospect