Feb 3, 2011, 8:29 PM EDT
The Natonals have signed outfielder Laynce Nix to a minor-league contract with an invitation to big-league camp this spring.
Nix, 30, hit .291 with four homers and 18 RBI in 97 games with the Reds last season. In 483 career major-league games with the Rangers, Brewers and Reds, he has 48 homers and 142 RBI.
A left-handed hitter, Nix faces stiff competition this spring. The Nationals already have five outfielders expected to make the Opening Day roster: Jayson Werth, Nyjer Morgan, Roger Bernadina, Rick Ankiel and Michael Morse. Utilityman Jerry Hairston also figures to get playing time in the outfield.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Must-win? Sunday's game may be that for Nats
- Scherzer doubtful for Tuesday's start
- Slumping Nats already 7 games back in NL East
- Bats silent in 8-0 Marlins win over Washington
- Thumb swollen, Scherzer can't throw in bullpen
- Nationals try to get back on track in Miami
- Lack of late-inning execution holding back Nats
- Marlins 3, Nats 2: Familiar storyline leads to loss
- Intentional or not, Harper leads MLB in walks
- Nationals open long road trip in Miami