Feb 3, 2011, 8:29 PM EDT
The Natonals have signed outfielder Laynce Nix to a minor-league contract with an invitation to big-league camp this spring.
Nix, 30, hit .291 with four homers and 18 RBI in 97 games with the Reds last season. In 483 career major-league games with the Rangers, Brewers and Reds, he has 48 homers and 142 RBI.
A left-handed hitter, Nix faces stiff competition this spring. The Nationals already have five outfielders expected to make the Opening Day roster: Jayson Werth, Nyjer Morgan, Roger Bernadina, Rick Ankiel and Michael Morse. Utilityman Jerry Hairston also figures to get playing time in the outfield.
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span sits to rest sore back; other Nats injury notes
- Nats aim for 3rd straight series win against Padres
- Around the NL East: Will the Mets ever lose again?
- Double play on 3-0 pitch kills Nationals' rally
- Gonzalez turns in uneven outing, drops third straight
- Furious rally falls short as Nationals lose to Padres 6-5
- Ramos catches Gonzalez for 1st time in months
- Nats seek first 4-game win streak in 2 months
- Strasburg keeps leading the charge for Nats rotation
- Nats Stock Watch: Rendon rediscovering his power stroke