Feb 3, 2011, 8:29 PM EST
The Natonals have signed outfielder Laynce Nix to a minor-league contract with an invitation to big-league camp this spring.
Nix, 30, hit .291 with four homers and 18 RBI in 97 games with the Reds last season. In 483 career major-league games with the Rangers, Brewers and Reds, he has 48 homers and 142 RBI.
A left-handed hitter, Nix faces stiff competition this spring. The Nationals already have five outfielders expected to make the Opening Day roster: Jayson Werth, Nyjer Morgan, Roger Bernadina, Rick Ankiel and Michael Morse. Utilityman Jerry Hairston also figures to get playing time in the outfield.
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Scherzer and Strasburg learning from each other
- Nationals' Saturday workout is a washout
- Nats sign veteran lefty Hill to minor-league deal
- Do the Nats need another left-handed bat?
- Observations from Friday's workout in Viera
- Nats sing Happy Birthday to Denard Span, with bonus Danny Espinosa videobomb
- PHOTO: Looks like Scherzer will be a Jedi for Nats' 'Star Wars Day'
- LaRoche: Nats have transformed D.C. into a baseball city
- Matt Williams sets the tone for Nats on Day 1
- Will 2015 be a breakout year for Nats' RF Harper?