Feb 3, 2011, 10:20 PM EDT
Minor-league catcher Adrian Nieto has been suspended 50 games after testing positive for two performance-enhancing drugs, MLB announced this afternoon.
Nieto, who spent last season at low-Class A Hagerstown, tested positive for Oxandrolone and metabolite. Use of both drugs violate the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program, and a positive test for either triggers an automatic 50-game suspension.
Oxandrolone is a synthetic anabolic steroid approved by the FDA to treat alcoholic hepatitis, Turner syndrome and HIV-induced weight loss.
Nieto, a fifth-round pick in the 2008 draft out of American Heritage School in Plantation, Fla., has struggled to hit in three minor-league seasons. The 21-year-old catcher owns a career .210 average in 110 games and last season hit just .195 with two homers and 14 RBI in 60 games at Hagerstown.
His suspension will be effective at the start of the season; he’ll be eligible to return no earlier than May 30.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win
- Gonzalez, Nats win pitchers duel on another walk-off
- Nats' Zimmerman takes significant step in recovery
- Nationals aim for team record 10th straight win vs. D-Backs
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return