Feb 3, 2011, 10:20 PM EDT
Minor-league catcher Adrian Nieto has been suspended 50 games after testing positive for two performance-enhancing drugs, MLB announced this afternoon.
Nieto, who spent last season at low-Class A Hagerstown, tested positive for Oxandrolone and metabolite. Use of both drugs violate the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program, and a positive test for either triggers an automatic 50-game suspension.
Oxandrolone is a synthetic anabolic steroid approved by the FDA to treat alcoholic hepatitis, Turner syndrome and HIV-induced weight loss.
Nieto, a fifth-round pick in the 2008 draft out of American Heritage School in Plantation, Fla., has struggled to hit in three minor-league seasons. The 21-year-old catcher owns a career .210 average in 110 games and last season hit just .195 with two homers and 14 RBI in 60 games at Hagerstown.
His suspension will be effective at the start of the season; he’ll be eligible to return no earlier than May 30.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ranking all 30 MLB ballparks
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies