Feb 3, 2011, 10:20 PM EST
Minor-league catcher Adrian Nieto has been suspended 50 games after testing positive for two performance-enhancing drugs, MLB announced this afternoon.
Nieto, who spent last season at low-Class A Hagerstown, tested positive for Oxandrolone and metabolite. Use of both drugs violate the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program, and a positive test for either triggers an automatic 50-game suspension.
Oxandrolone is a synthetic anabolic steroid approved by the FDA to treat alcoholic hepatitis, Turner syndrome and HIV-induced weight loss.
Nieto, a fifth-round pick in the 2008 draft out of American Heritage School in Plantation, Fla., has struggled to hit in three minor-league seasons. The 21-year-old catcher owns a career .210 average in 110 games and last season hit just .195 with two homers and 14 RBI in 60 games at Hagerstown.
His suspension will be effective at the start of the season; he’ll be eligible to return no earlier than May 30.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Will Michael Taylor become an everyday outfielder?