Feb 8, 2011, 3:41 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Spring training in Viera offers fans plenty of up-close interaction.
Thanks to everyone who posted comments yesterday with your suggestions for stories to monitor this spring. I can't promise I'll be able to meet every single request — I'd need at least three clones down in Viera with me to pull that off — but I'll certainly do my best to address as many of the suggested storylines as possible.
One request several readers had (and something I'd been planning to do anyway) was to post a fan's guide to spring training and Viera. There are plenty of angles to cover on this, so I figured I'd break it up into two parts. Today, we'll look at what you should know about Space Coast Stadium and the adjacent minor-league complex. Tomorrow, I'll tell you what you should know about the town away from the facility.
Viera gets disparaged a lot, and not without merit. It's probably the most-remote outpost in the Grapefruit League, with no other facility within 55 miles. A still-unincorporated, planned community along Interstate 95, it's lacking in charm but doesn't lack strip malls or chain restaurants.
That said, there may not be a better site in Florida to watch spring training up close. I've been to nearly every facility in the state over the years, and the only one I can remember offering more fan accessRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- How will Nats compensate for Werth's absence?
- Mark Zuckerman on Jayson Werth's unfortunate injury news
- MLB Power Rankings: Astros, Twins are early season surprises
- Werth could be out months after new test results on left wrist
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Al Galdi and Daniel Shiferaw
- Stars shine in Nats' 9th straight series win
- Harper, Scherzer power Nationals past Cubs
- Nats Stock Watch: Scherzer showing why he's the ace
- One more category Bryce Harper leads the NL in
- Some good, some really ugly in Nats loss