Feb 8, 2011, 10:18 PM EDT
Hector Taveras, a 22-year-old catcher in the Nationals’ farm system, has been suspended 25 games for violating the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.
Taveras, who played last season in the rookie Gulf Coast League, will begin serving his suspension on Opening Day. His punishment is not for testing positive for any performance enhancing drugs.
[UPDATE -- According to the Associated Press, Taveras was found in possession of an unauthorized syringe.]
A native of the Dominican Republic, Taveras has played only one season in the United States. He hit .291 with 24 RBI in 39 games at the GCL in Viera, Fla., and went 2-for-3 with a triple in a brief appearance at low-Class A Hagerstown.
Taveras is the second minor-league catcher from the Nationals’ system to be suspended in the last week. Adrian Nieto, a 21-year-old who spent last season at Hagerstown, received a 50-game suspension on Thursday after testing positive for two performance enhancing drugs.
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Three homers not enough in 5-3 Nationals loss to Seattle
- Nationals go for series sweep in Seattle
- Strasburg pitches gem as Nats beat Mariners 3-1
- Manny Pacquiao to throw first pitch before Nats-Dodgers game
- Mets could lose Murphy for rest of season
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown
- The Baseball Show: Williams for Manager of the Year?
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high