Feb 9, 2011, 3:52 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
We talked yesterday about life around Space Coast Stadium and what you can expect to see this spring if you're headed down that way. Today, let's talk about what you can expect when you're not at the Nationals' spring training complex.
Viera has grown considerably since the Nats came into existence six years ago. Every spring I've arrived in town and discovered some new building or road or restaurant that wasn't there the year before.
Hotel options in the immediate vicinity of the ballpark, though, remain sparse. There's a LaQuinta Inn, a Holiday Inn and a Hampton Inn on Wickham Road at Interstate 95, all about a five-minute drive to Space Coast Stadium. All can get pretty crowded during the spring, in part because the Nationals take up some of the rooms for team personnel, especially minor-league players and staff.
There may be a lack of hotel rooms in Viera, but there isn't a lack of eating options. Name the chain restaurant, and chances are you'll find it in Viera, either at "The Avenue" shopping center down the road from the ballpark or on Wickham Road (a major thoroughfare in theRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Blevins' awkward 24 hours ends with K of Harper
- Werth crosses big hurdle in shoulder rehab
- Nats face Mets in final Viera game of the spring
- PHOTO: New Mets pitcher faces Nats one day after they traded him
- Rendon seeking 3rd opinion on injured knee
- Mark Zuckerman joins STL to talk about Nats' injury problems
- Janssen unlikely for opener with shoulder tendinitis
- Knee injury concerns go next level for Anthony Rendon
- Nats sign veteran outfielder recently cut by Marlins
- Nats trade lefty reliever to Mets for veteran outfielder