Feb 10, 2011, 10:18 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg has taken a crucial step in his long, slow recovery from Tommy John surgery. The Nationals right-hander recently began throwing for the first time since wincing in pain upon throwing his final pitch in Philadelphia last August, a club official confirmed.
Strasburg, who has been rehabbing all winter near his home in San Diego, has only done some light throwing so far, playing catch on flat ground from a short distance. But performing that seemingly minor task five months after undergoing elbow ligament replacement surgery represents a significant milestone and puts the 22-year-old on a schedule that could see him pitching again in the major leagues in September.
Strasburg is due to report to spring training with the rest of Nationals pitchers and catchers next week, where he’ll continue to slowly build up arm strength and stamina. He won’t be permitted to throw off a bullpen mound or at full velocity for several months, but he’ll participate in conditioning and fielding drills with the rest of the pitching staff.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants