Feb 12, 2011, 3:27 PM EDT
When the Nationals released Elijah Dukes last spring, it was appropriate to wonder whether the talented-but-troubled outfielder would ever get another opportunity to play in the major leagues.
Nearly one year later, that opportunity has yet to come, and it's pretty clear it will never come for Dukes, who at 26 is now embarking on entirely new journey: as an aspiring rapper.
The Tampa Tribune has a fascinating story online this morning about Dukes, who is trying to make a name for himself as rapper Fly Eli and also opens up about his final days with the Nationals. Dukes claims he sometimes smoked marijuana before games and that teammates (he wouldn't name who) sometimes brought marijuana and cocaine on the team's charter plane.
Dukes told the Tribune he believes his abrupt release by the Nationals in March came about only because he told a psychiatrist assigned to him as part of Major League Baseball's employee assistance program about theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals try to start new winning streak today
- The Baseball Show: LaRoche and Cabrera are August standouts
- Nationals deal with unfamiliar event: A loss
- Nats fall to Giants, win streak snapped at 10
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill