Feb 15, 2011, 11:41 PM EDT
Photo by Bob Youngentob for CSNwashington.com
Barring something unforeseen, Livan Hernandez will start Opening Day against the Braves.
VIERA, Fla. — On the day pitchers and catchers reported for spring training, Jim Riggleman didn’t hesitate to name his Opening Day starter: Livan Hernandez.
“Unless something unforeseen happens, Livan has earned it,” the Nationals manager said.
Not that Riggleman has a ton of appealing choices. With Stephen Strasburg shelved until at least September while recovering from Tommy John surgery, the Nationals are left without a bona fide No. 1 starter. And of the remaining options, Hernandez (who started Opening Day for Washington in 2005 and 2006) has the most experience and is coming off a strong season.
But what the rest of the Nationals rotation lacks in star power, it may make up in numbers. With Hernandez, Jordan Zimmermann, John Lannan, Jason Marquis and Tom Gorzelanny likely to open the season in the majors, and Yunesky Maya, Ross Detwiler and Chien-Ming Wang probably headed for Class AAA Syracuse, Washington hasn’t had this kind of starting depth since the franchise arrived in town.
Read my full story on the state of the rotation on CSNwashington.com.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Fister still working out mechanical glitches
- Nationals again can't beat struggling Reds
- Span, Escobar exit game vs. Reds with apparent injuries
- Max Scherzer gets All-Star nod, two Nats left out
- Live Thread: Nationals open series vs. Reds
- More revealing Bryce Harper Body Issue photos released
- Bryce Harper makes decision on Home Run Derby
- Nationals sweep Giants behind Zimmermann, Ramos
- Two Giants ejected after arguing call vs. Nationals
- Live Thread: Nationals face Giants in Sunday night matchup