Feb 15, 2011, 9:55 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — Ryan Zimmerman lobbied the Nationals hard, for nearly a year, to re-sign Adam Dunn. And when the Nats allowed Dunn to walk away and sign a four-year deal with the White Sox, the “Face of the Franchise” was outspoken in his disappointment.
Zimmerman, though, insists his disappointment wasn’t over the Nationals’ roster decision. It was over the departure of a close friend.
And now that the dust has settled and a revamped Washington club has begun reporting for spring training, its best overall player believes significant progress has been made.
“I was not by any means saying anything about the club or the organization,” Zimmerman said today. “I think a lot of people thought I was. I had talked to [general manager] Mike [Rizzo] quite a bit. I knew that they had a plan. Obviously, they’ve done it for the last couple years to get this team in place. I was just expressing more frustrations of losing a teammate and a friend than anything. I think a lot of people took it as I was taking a stab at them or talking bad about them, which was completely the opposite.”
For more thoughts from Zimmerman on Jayson Werth and Bryce Harper, please read my full story on CSNwashington.com.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats fall to Giants, win streak snapped at 10
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win
- Gonzalez, Nats win pitchers duel on another walk-off