Feb 15, 2011, 9:55 PM EST
VIERA, Fla. — Ryan Zimmerman lobbied the Nationals hard, for nearly a year, to re-sign Adam Dunn. And when the Nats allowed Dunn to walk away and sign a four-year deal with the White Sox, the “Face of the Franchise” was outspoken in his disappointment.
Zimmerman, though, insists his disappointment wasn’t over the Nationals’ roster decision. It was over the departure of a close friend.
And now that the dust has settled and a revamped Washington club has begun reporting for spring training, its best overall player believes significant progress has been made.
“I was not by any means saying anything about the club or the organization,” Zimmerman said today. “I think a lot of people thought I was. I had talked to [general manager] Mike [Rizzo] quite a bit. I knew that they had a plan. Obviously, they’ve done it for the last couple years to get this team in place. I was just expressing more frustrations of losing a teammate and a friend than anything. I think a lot of people took it as I was taking a stab at them or talking bad about them, which was completely the opposite.”
For more thoughts from Zimmerman on Jayson Werth and Bryce Harper, please read my full story on CSNwashington.com.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Non-tendered players could interest Nats
- Yankees, Ellsbury near $153M, 7-yr deal
- Fister "excited" about trade to Nationals
- Rizzo discusses Fister trade and more Nats news
- Hard not to like Fister trade for Nationals
- Nats re-sign Ohlendorf, tender contracts to 8 others
- Nats acquire Fister in 4-player trade with Tigers
- Pirates acquire catcher Chris Stewart from Yankees
- Nationals face non-tender deadline
- Washington Nationals minor league spotlight: Matt Purke