Feb 15, 2011, 9:55 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — Ryan Zimmerman lobbied the Nationals hard, for nearly a year, to re-sign Adam Dunn. And when the Nats allowed Dunn to walk away and sign a four-year deal with the White Sox, the “Face of the Franchise” was outspoken in his disappointment.
Zimmerman, though, insists his disappointment wasn’t over the Nationals’ roster decision. It was over the departure of a close friend.
And now that the dust has settled and a revamped Washington club has begun reporting for spring training, its best overall player believes significant progress has been made.
“I was not by any means saying anything about the club or the organization,” Zimmerman said today. “I think a lot of people thought I was. I had talked to [general manager] Mike [Rizzo] quite a bit. I knew that they had a plan. Obviously, they’ve done it for the last couple years to get this team in place. I was just expressing more frustrations of losing a teammate and a friend than anything. I think a lot of people took it as I was taking a stab at them or talking bad about them, which was completely the opposite.”
For more thoughts from Zimmerman on Jayson Werth and Bryce Harper, please read my full story on CSNwashington.com.
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September
- Nationals open big series in Los Angeles
- Astros fire manager Bo Porter, who came from Nats
- Nationals promote 6 players in September call-ups
- State of the Nats: Nationals-Dodgers could be playoff preview