Feb 17, 2011, 5:01 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg pauses during his throwing session to talk to Jim Riggleman.
VIERA, Fla. — The first official workout of spring training is wrapping up as we speak. Nothing dramatic to report, though I suppose the sight of Stephen Strasburg throwing a baseball qualifies for drama around here.
Strasburg played catch with head trainer Lee Kuntz, using a full throwing motion but nowhere close to full velocity. They stood about 45 feet apart and split the session in two, totaling about 15 minutes. This is just the first of a whole lot of steps for Strasburg to take before he stands on the mound at Nationals Park again.
Strasburg did participate with everyone else in the fundamental drills. He fielded comebackers (not throwing the ball after catching it, of course) and took bunting practice. Basically, he's just like every other pitcher in camp, except he's restricted to throwing only during that 15-minute session.
As for the guys who did throw off bullpen mounds, I was most interested in seeing Chien-Ming Wang. Now, I'm by no means a pitching expert, and my eye for these things isn't anywhere in the same area code as SteveRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Monday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Monday's games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Around the NL East: Big offseasons ahead
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1