Feb 17, 2011, 10:03 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg threw for about 15 minutes today from 45 feet.
VIERA, Fla. — It was, as Stephen Strasburg succinctly described it, “just another another day.”
And on the surface, there was nothing special about the tasks Strasburg performed Thursday morning during the Washington Nationals’ first official workout of the spring. He played catch for 15 minutes, tossing a ball gently back and forth with head trainer Lee Kuntz. He fielded comebackers off the bat of a minor-league coach. He received some bunting instructions from hitting coach Rick Eckstein.
Pretty mundane stuff, really. And yet, even the most mundane tasks carry special meaning right now for Strasburg, who five months removed from Tommy John surgery is beginning to feel like a real ballplayer again. He’s still got a long way to go before he pitches in a big-league game again. But Strasburg has a clear goal in mind: Return to the mound in September.
“Yeah, it’s obviously a goal,” he said. “But it’s out of my control. All I can do is just go out there and do the throwing program, execute the schedule. And if they feel like I’m ready at the end of the year to go out there and pitch, awesome. That’s going to be great. But it’s going to be a decision they’re going to have to make.”
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Matt Harvey expected to make much-awaited return against Nats
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets
- Bryce Harper does a pretty epic videobomb on Anthony Rendon
- ESPN throws shade on Nats' jerseys, calling them among worst in MLB
- On the cusp of majors, Taylor bides his time
- Mets pitcher really, really does not like defensive shifts