Feb 17, 2011, 2:19 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — Pitchers and catchers may have reported two days ago, but spring training really begins today. Jim Riggleman and Mike Rizzo are currently holding a meeting inside the clubhouse with all the gathered player, setting the ground rules (as they are) for the spring. At 9:45 a.m., everyone will head to the practice fields down the rad for their first formal workout of the year.
These early workout sessions are geared entirely around the pitchers, with guys split up into groups and rotating between four different practice fields and the big bullpen. At each station, a different fundamental is practiced, from fielding bunts to covering first base to pickoff moves. It's all pretty mundane, but this is the time of year to work on this stuff, and every pitcher in every camp has to do it.
The bullpen sessions last about 10 minutes. Every pitcher throws every other day, all under the watchful eye of Steve McCatty, who roams behind the row of 10 mounds barking out orders.
Pitchers scheduled to throw today: Livan Hernandez, Ross Detwiler, Jordan Zimmermann, Garrett Mock, Chien-Ming Wang, Tom Gorzelanny, Adam Carr, Cole Kimball, Joe Bisenius, Drew Storen, Collin Balester,Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- State of the Nats: All-Stars announced soon, Giants coming to town
- Baseball in the District - Which Nats should be All-Stars?
- Desmond showing signs of a breakout at last
- The Baseball Show: An amazing week of pitching
- On long, up-and-down day, Strasburg stands tall
- Roark struggles as Nats lose second game of doubleheader
- Nats aim for sweep as Roark starts second game in Philly
- Strasburg steps up as Nats take 1st game of doubleheader in Philly
- Nats and Phillies wrap up series with doubleheader
- Nats miffed at Phillies over postponed game