Feb 17, 2011, 2:19 PM EST
VIERA, Fla. — Pitchers and catchers may have reported two days ago, but spring training really begins today. Jim Riggleman and Mike Rizzo are currently holding a meeting inside the clubhouse with all the gathered player, setting the ground rules (as they are) for the spring. At 9:45 a.m., everyone will head to the practice fields down the rad for their first formal workout of the year.
These early workout sessions are geared entirely around the pitchers, with guys split up into groups and rotating between four different practice fields and the big bullpen. At each station, a different fundamental is practiced, from fielding bunts to covering first base to pickoff moves. It's all pretty mundane, but this is the time of year to work on this stuff, and every pitcher in every camp has to do it.
The bullpen sessions last about 10 minutes. Every pitcher throws every other day, all under the watchful eye of Steve McCatty, who roams behind the row of 10 mounds barking out orders.
Pitchers scheduled to throw today: Livan Hernandez, Ross Detwiler, Jordan Zimmermann, Garrett Mock, Chien-Ming Wang, Tom Gorzelanny, Adam Carr, Cole Kimball, Joe Bisenius, Drew Storen, Collin Balester,Read more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mets' Wheeler: 'I guarantee you we all saw what Bryce Harper said'
- After a trying year, Gwynn Jr. tries to come back
- Nationals players excited to see pitching staff in action
- WATCH: Harper faces Strasburg for first time
- Werth hits off tee for first time since surgery
- Matt Harvey expected to make much-awaited return against Nats
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B