Feb 18, 2011, 7:29 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Yunesky Maya throws during his morning bullpen session.
VIERA, Fla. — Workout No. 2 of the spring is in the books, and there were a few things worth noting about it, from the early arrival of several top position players to several intriguing guys throwing in the bullpen.
It appears, though, today's most notable development was a negative one. Adam Kilgore of The Washington Post was watching Cla Meredith's bullpen session and noticed the reliever cutting it short and then pointing toward his elbow as he departed alongside a trainer. Later, Meredith told Kilgore he's "four months out of surgery," which if true would be news to just about everyone, I believe. There were no previous reports about Meredith having any kind of arm issues last season while he was with the Orioles. Whether the Nationals were aware of this upon signing the veteran side-armer to a minor-league contract earlier this month is unclear. I've got some inquiries to team officials out there and will let you know once I hear anything.
[UPDATE AT 3:30 P.M. -- A team official said there will be an update on Meredith's condition in the morning. The Nats were aware he underwent arthroscopic elbow surgery before signing him.]
One guy I did watch pitch in the bullpen was Yunesky Maya, who was less-than-spectacular last September in his first big-league stint but by all accounts was fantastic in the Dominican this winter. I didn't notice anything particularly different about Maya during his session today, but that doesn't mean anything because it was his first bullpen of the springRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Roark makes emergency start vs. Astros
- Fister scratched from start with elbow inflammation
- Doug Flutie took batting practice at Nats spring training (VIDEO)
- Marlins complain about Red Sox spring lineup, get apology
- Dr. Jobe's impact on baseball was immeasurable
- Zimmermann throws three scoreless in Nats' 3-2 loss
- Zimmermann squares off with Braves again
- 2014 Washington Nationals fantasy baseball preview
- Phillies Cole Hamels suffers setback, April looks doubtful
- Projecting Nats' roster midway through spring