Feb 18, 2011, 2:50 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — There may come a point this season when either Wilson Ramos or Jesus Flores takes over as the Washington Nationals’ starting catcher. But for now, that job still belongs to one of the greatest backstops ever to play the game.
Manager Jim Riggleman made it clear Friday morning Ivan Rodriguez will open the season as his club’s starter behind the plate.
“Pudge is our catcher,” Riggleman said. “We’re going to go out there, and Pudge is going to continue to lead our ballclub as a leader behind the plate, a good hitter and just a good baseball player. He’s got a lot of baseball left, so he’s our catcher. And whoever wins that second spot is going to get incorporated into the lineup more and more as we go along.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Fan dies after fall from upper deck at Atlanta Braves game
- Nats gain a rare game on the Mets with win over Marlins
- Zimmermann, Nats bounce back to top Marlins
- Span's season is over, and maybe his Nats career as well
- Nats look to get even against Marlins
- Werth bobblehead release gets pushed back
- Turner looks comfortable in debut at second base
- Month to forget continues for Scherzer, Nats
- Scherzer's struggles continue in Nationals' 4-3 loss to Marlins
- Hip surgery for Span, but Taylor's knee OK