Feb 18, 2011, 2:50 PM EST
VIERA, Fla. — There may come a point this season when either Wilson Ramos or Jesus Flores takes over as the Washington Nationals’ starting catcher. But for now, that job still belongs to one of the greatest backstops ever to play the game.
Manager Jim Riggleman made it clear Friday morning Ivan Rodriguez will open the season as his club’s starter behind the plate.
“Pudge is our catcher,” Riggleman said. “We’re going to go out there, and Pudge is going to continue to lead our ballclub as a leader behind the plate, a good hitter and just a good baseball player. He’s got a lot of baseball left, so he’s our catcher. And whoever wins that second spot is going to get incorporated into the lineup more and more as we go along.”
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann ready for game action after live BP
- Strasburg talks signing of Max Scherzer, rise of Nats as franchise
- Why the Nationals don't use the shift more
- Past failures fuel Barrett to bounce back
- Phillies lose to Division II baseball team in spring exhibition
- Live BP features Scherzer, broken bat, anthem
- Marlins ace Fernandez takes big step in Tommy John recovery
- Now a Dodger, Rollins says another NL East team was his 2nd choice
- Ex-Nats prospect could start for Braves in CF
- Harper wants to be a one team player