Feb 19, 2011, 10:41 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Roger Bernadina is battling Michael Morse and Rick Ankiel for playing time in left field.
VIERA, Fla. — Rarely have the Nationals entered spring training with as many starting jobs around the diamond locked up like this. With six weeks still remaining before Opening Day, the Nats already know their starting catcher, first baseman, second baseman, shortstop, third baseman, center fielder and right fielder.
Then there’s left field, which at this point is completely up for grabs between Roger Bernadina, Michael Morse and Rick Ankiel.
Any one of the three could seize the starting job and become a lineup mainstay. Or the Nationals could decide not to declare anyone the starter and simply rotate all three in and out of the lineup.
“I’m open to either of those situations,” manager Jim Riggleman said. “If Mike Morse or if Bernadina or if Ankiel, if one of those guys is clearly dominant over the others in spring training, then we’ll put that guy out there. But if it’s a combination of a couple guys … if we did get in a situation where we platooned, that would be the one position we would do that.”
Read my full story on the different possibilities in left field on CSNwashington.com.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats
- Zimmermann named NL Player of the Week for 2nd time this year