Feb 19, 2011, 12:07 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jesus Flores (and Wilson Ramos) are staring over Ivan Rodriguez’s shoulder.
VIERA, Fla. — It sounded like a forceful declaration from Jim Riggleman — “Pudge is our catcher” — and the Nationals manager meant it when he said this morning that Ivan Rodriguez would open the season as Washington’s starter behind the plate.
Truth be told, Riggleman knows Rodriguez’s tenure atop the catching depth chart is likely to be brief. Between Wilson Ramos and Jesus Flores, the Nationals have two potential long-term answers at the position. And at some point this season, perhaps by early summer, one of those two youngsters will take over for Rodriguez, who at 39 is already on borrowed time.
Riggleman said as much this morning.
“Whether it’s Ramos and/or Flores, they’re very talented guys,” the manager said. “We’re not going to let them die on the vine. They’ve got to get playing time. So whichever guy is there, if not both of them, they’re going to get playing time and stay sharp. And as the year goes on, probably get a little more playing time.”
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels
- Nationals Stock Watch: Harper has rough week
- How secure is struggling Jordan's rotation spot?
- Pujols gets 500th, Nats fall to Angels
- Pujols launches 500th homer at Nationals' expense
- Who is the Nats best 8th inning option?
- Fister pitches 3 innings, on track for May 7 return