Feb 19, 2011, 8:25 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ross Detwiler throws in the bullpen with Jim Riggleman watching.
VIERA, Fla. — Only three days into official workouts, the monotony starts to sink in a bit. These early sessions before position players join the fray are pretty simplistic: Throw off a bullpen mound every other day, shuttle between defense and bunting stations the rest of the time, catchers take batting practice. Not a ton of variety.
That will start to change on Tuesday when all position players are in camp and on the field for the first full-squad workout of the spring. Then you'll start to see more variations of activities: more team defense, baserunning, live batting practice.
The most notable development today might have been Chien-Ming Wang's bullpen session, which was much sharper than Thursday's session that we already over-analyzed. Jim Riggleman and Steve McCatty both watched Wang closely today, and Riggleman came away encouraged by what he saw: More sinking action from Wang. Afterward, the Taiwanese right-hander said there was a "big difference" in his throwing session today, that his "motion is more smooth." Obviously, he's still got a long way to go, but after leaving Thursday with a negative vibe, today he left a better taste in everyone's mouth.
Stephen Strasburg also played catch, though not with the rest of the team. Strasburg did his light tossing from 45 feet earlier this morning,Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Biggest key to Papelbon trade is Storen
- One MLB columnist expects Lucas Giolito to be dominant in 2020
- Fernandez remains perfect in Miami, Marlins top Nats 4-1
- Tyler Clippard says chasing down the 'beatable' Nats will be 'a lot of fun'
- Nationals acquire Jonathan Papelbon for minor leaguer
- Werth, Zimmerman activated off DL
- Watching baseball with Obama
- Report: Nats 'making progress' in trade for All-Star closer
- Around the NL East: Are Mets moves enough to catch Nats?
- Troy Tulowitzki traded to AL East team in blockbuster deal