Feb 19, 2011, 8:25 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ross Detwiler throws in the bullpen with Jim Riggleman watching.
VIERA, Fla. — Only three days into official workouts, the monotony starts to sink in a bit. These early sessions before position players join the fray are pretty simplistic: Throw off a bullpen mound every other day, shuttle between defense and bunting stations the rest of the time, catchers take batting practice. Not a ton of variety.
That will start to change on Tuesday when all position players are in camp and on the field for the first full-squad workout of the spring. Then you'll start to see more variations of activities: more team defense, baserunning, live batting practice.
The most notable development today might have been Chien-Ming Wang's bullpen session, which was much sharper than Thursday's session that we already over-analyzed. Jim Riggleman and Steve McCatty both watched Wang closely today, and Riggleman came away encouraged by what he saw: More sinking action from Wang. Afterward, the Taiwanese right-hander said there was a "big difference" in his throwing session today, that his "motion is more smooth." Obviously, he's still got a long way to go, but after leaving Thursday with a negative vibe, today he left a better taste in everyone's mouth.
Stephen Strasburg also played catch, though not with the rest of the team. Strasburg did his light tossing from 45 feet earlier this morning,Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Rizzo: Blevins was Nationals' best option
- Former Nats OF Jerry Hairston, Jr. retires from MLB
- Nats get lefty Blevins from A's for prospect
- Williams wants Davey to come to spring training
- Will Nats make amends for 2013? (VIDEO)
- Williams contemplates look of Nationals' lineup
- MLB to discuss home plate collisions at Winter Meetings
- Wilson, Blevins among Nationals trade targets
- Rizzo: Nats aren't trading Clippard, Storen, Span
- 6 weeks into MLB offseason and free agents are going fast