Update on Meredith and visas

Feb 19, 2011, 2:45 PM EDT

For the update on Cla Meredith's MRI and his comments, go to CSNwashington.com.

VIERA, Fla. — It's another beautiful day in paradise, not a cloud in the sky, a light breeze blowing and the temperature expected to approach 80 degrees. Tough gig, I know.

Pitchers and catchers are making their way down to the minor-league complex for this morning's workout, but before I join them over there, a couple of Saturday morning updates for you…

Cla Meredith, who had to cut his first bullpen session short yesterday due to elbow discomfort, was seen by doctors and received (I believe) an MRI. The results of that test aren't known yet.

Manager Jim Riggleman confirmed Meredith had arthroscopic surgery during the offseason to remove bone chips in his elbow, a procedure similar to the one Jason Marquis had early last season and Craig Stammen late in 2009.

"Hopefully, this discomfort yesterday was maybe some scar tissue tearing or something," Riggleman said. "We'll know more maybe later today."

Henry Rodriguez and Elvin Ramirez, the two right-handers currently stuck in Venezuela waiting for their visa applications to be approved,Read more »

1. Anonymous - Feb 19, 2011 at 3:06 PM

The replay of the Top 10 3rd baseman show on MLB Network is on now from 10AM to 11AM.This is the same show that originally aired on 1/20/11 and is not a new show.

2. Theophilus - Feb 19, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Venezuela — 'splains a lot.

3. N. Cognito - Feb 19, 2011 at 3:55 PM

The Promotional Schedule is now online.http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/schedule/promotions.jsp?c_id=was

4. Luis - Feb 19, 2011 at 4:17 PM

I vote for Livo for the fan's choice bobbler in September.

5. Slidell - Feb 19, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Is it entirely coincidental that both guys with visa problems are from Venezuela? Some political-based thumbing-their-nose stuff from one direction or the other?

6. Anonymous - Feb 19, 2011 at 4:34 PM

As someone who used to do visa work in a U.S. embassy years ago, I think it's unlikely the visa problems are because anything political is going on. There are other possibilities that might be more likely to create a bottleneck in one country's visa pipeline, from staffing gaps, to a recent fraud eruption that's got them looking at everything more closely, to a problem at the Venezuelan vital records bureau that's holding up document validations, to the players having assumed their visas were a slam-dunk and half-assing the paperwork, to any one of a half dozen other scenarios. Of course, I have no idea what the actual problem(s) may be, just that political interference would be way down my list of reasons to suspect.

7. joemktg - Feb 19, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Once Al Galdi referenced Derek Norris early in this morning's report, I knew there was going to be some depth. Nice.

8. JaneB - Feb 19, 2011 at 5:02 PM

N. Cogito, or anyone else: Does "Pups in the Park" mean I can bring my dog? I've seen photos of dogs in other ballparks. I hope this means we get to do this, too! I love that there is someone here who can comment knowledgeably about the visa issues. And that Meredith may just have a flukely scar thing going on. I hope that turns out to be true, too.

9. Theophilus - Feb 19, 2011 at 5:05 PM

I think it is still the case that there is no U.S. Ambassador to Venezuela. While the embassy and consular staffs are separate, it would not surprise me if there was an unusual amount of i-dotting and t-crossing on the Venezuelan side to express the insult to their dignity.

10. Traveler8 - Feb 19, 2011 at 5:36 PM

JaneB, There are only a couple of sections and limited space for the dogs, so you have to get a ticket for that early – can't just show up with the dog. Those sections do sell out before gameday.

11. BinM - Feb 19, 2011 at 5:41 PM

One other thing to consider with Ramirez & Rodriguez is that they both were transferred from another team this off-season (Mets & Oakland, respectively). That can hang things up as well.

12. souldrummer - Feb 19, 2011 at 5:48 PM

@BinM Good point. That means they are basically working for a new employer and that my hang things up. New people writing the checks means more issues for the Visa folks perhaps.@Mark Thank you very much for the insight that "we have people" working with them. Do you think that these people are folks from a Venzuela international operation or instructors from the big club or minor league system who have been sent down there?

13. Anonymous - Feb 19, 2011 at 6:48 PM

An irrelevant question: Is Dunn better with RISP or men-on, or Laroche?

14. Anonymous8 - Feb 19, 2011 at 8:06 PM

I remember a discussion last month that someone suggested the Nats could trade for the Twins Liriano.I just saw this on ESPN about Liriano's sore shoulder;http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2011/news/story?id=6136209

15. BinM - Feb 19, 2011 at 8:39 PM

@anon 13:48 021911You decide… Career Numbers (BA/OBP/SLG/OPS)Adam Dunnbases empty = .252/.359/.530/.889Men on base = .247/.406/.504/.910RISP = .232/.415/.481/.896 Adam LaRoche bases empty = .262/.320/.492/.812Men on base = .284/.361/.482/.843RISP = .278/.366/.449/.815[Data from fangraphs.com]

16. Sec 3, My Sofa - Feb 19, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Kilgore posts that Meredith's MRI came back clean, and so it may have been just scar tissue after all. Meredith also had good things to say about the training and medical staff. Mark, is Dr. Douoguih down there with the team?

17. Mark Zuckerman - Feb 19, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Sec 3: I've got the updated Meredith story on CSNwashington.com. MRI showed no new damage. Meredith hopes he only has to miss a couple of days.I don't believe Dr. Douoguih is here in Viera, but the Nats use local physician Bruce Thomas (who was the team doctor in Montreal and in Washington in 2005) during spring training.

18. Section 109 - Feb 21, 2011 at 3:57 AM

How do you pronounce Cla? Thanks for the great coverage, Mark.

19. Mark Zuckerman - Feb 21, 2011 at 4:05 AM

It's pronounced "Clay," despite the lack of the "y" at the end of his name.