Feb 20, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Sean Burnett delivers a pitch during his bullpen session.
VIERA, Fla. — Upon arriving at Space Coast Stadium at 8:15 this morning, I didn't think there was any chance the Nationals would be able to start their workout on time. A dense fog blanketed the entire area and made it impossible to see more than 50 feet in front of your own nose. I can only imagine what Wilson Ramos would think squatting behind the plate and waiting for one of Collin Balester's 95 mph fastballs to emerge from the soup.
The fog, though, quickly burned off, and by 9 a.m. it was more than clear enough for the players to head down to the practice fields and conduct business as usual.
Nothing too exciting to report from today's workout. It's still only pitchers and catchers formally participating, though today is reporting day for position players and most of them started emerging out there as the pitchers were wrapping up to conduct their own informal round of BP.
Position players are scheduled to take their physicals tomorrow, then the full squad finally works out Tuesday morning. Bryce Harper will beRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m. TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?
- After meltdown, Nationals must bounce back
- Werth hopes to play Tuesday after spraining ankle
- Nationals surrender four runs in 9th, fall 7-6 to Marlins
- Span proving skeptics wrong with summer surge