Feb 20, 2011, 7:45 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — It’s been nearly two years since Mike Rizzo became acting general manager of the Nationals following the abrupt resignation of Jim Bowden in the middle of spring training.
In the two years since, Rizzo has guided the franchise through a number of changes on and off the field and last fall was given a five-year extension and title promotion to general manager and executive vice president for baseball operations.
Since taking over, Rizzo has assembled a roster that fits his mold more than the one he inherited, with big, bulky power hitters replaced by more athletic, defensively gifted players. He has bolstered his roster’s depth at a number of positions but was unable to acquire the front-line starting pitcher he publicly desired this winter.
Earlier this afternoon, as position players officially reported for spring training in advance of Tuesday’s first full-squad workout, Rizzo sat down for a brief, one-on-one interview and discussed the state of the roster, the status of several players (including Chien-Ming Wang, Nyjer Morgan and Bryce Harper) and the status of manager Jim Riggleman (who is entering the final year of his contract).
You can read the full transcript of my interview with Rizzo on CSNwashington.com.
NLDS: NATIONALS VS. GIANTS
SAT: Game 2 at Washington, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3 at San Francisco, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4 at San Francisco, TBA (FS1)*
THU: Game 5 at Washington, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals draw Giants in NLDS after Wild Card win
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs