Feb 21, 2011, 6:53 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Bryce Harper takes a break following his first round of batting practice at Nats camp.
VIERA, Fla. — Bryce Harper arrived at Nationals camp this morning with a flourish, creating a buzz as soon as he walked onto the practice fields down the street from Space Coast Stadium.
The 18-year-old outfielder, among the top prospects in baseball, joined other position players in an informal workout the day before the Nationals conduct their first full-squad session. During a round of batting practice with a pack of fans and media members watching, Harper clubbed several home runs.
Afterward, he was mobbed by several dozen fans seeking autographs.
Last summer's No. 1 draft pick out of the College of Southern Nevada, Harper is in big-league camp despite having never attended spring training before. He's all but certain to open the season at low-Class A Hagerstown, but team officials want him to get the experience playingRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Robinson's seventh-inning homer good enough for 2-1 win
- Gonzalez heads to the mound to start series vs. Giants
- Williams got Division Series out of mind quickly
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats, Astros making a push
- Wacky way for Scherzer to take another loss
- Scherzer goes distance, but controversial call hands Nats loss
- Scherzer looks to keep historic run going
- Warning: Harper's Body Issue cover will make you blush
- Nats sign 1st significant Latin prospect in years
- Around the NL East: Phillies hire MacPhail to help rebuild effort