Feb 22, 2011, 7:43 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Roger Bernadina works on Bo Porter's unconventional drill.
VIERA, Fla. — No, your eyes aren't deceiving you: That's a photo of Roger Bernadina tracking down a fly ball with his right hand while holding a football in his left hand. That was one of the first things I saw during this morning's full-squad workout that let me know there are a few differences about this camp from previous ones.
The football drill is the brainchild of new third base coach Bo Porter, who also instructs the outfielders. Porter came up with the idea several years ago while coaching the Marlins. The idea behind it: Holding a football tucked into your side while taking off to catch a fly ball helps keep your running form tight and thus keeps your speed up all the way through the catch.
"After coaching for a year and watching different guys running at the balls, I realized the farther an outfielder runs for the ball, the form kind of got out from under them," said Porter, a former football player himself. "You see the glove start to waggle, the arm gets outside of their body. We all know if you start to lose your form, you're going to slow down. So the goal with the drill is to keep them running with their formRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate
- Nationals clinch NL East with victory in Atlanta
- How did Zimmerman fare in first game action in Viera?
- Nationals play for NL East title tonight in Atlanta
- Has Strasburg earned Game 1 start in playoffs?
- Around the NL East: Braves on the verge of elimination
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug
- LaRoche named finalist for Man of Year award