Feb 22, 2011, 10:23 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Bryce Harper and Jayson Werth shared the spotlight today at Nats camp.
VIERA, Fla. — Sign the 14th-largest contract in baseball history, and you’re probably going to be the center of attention on your first day with your new club.
Unless, of course, one of your new teammates is the most-hyped 18-year-old in a generation.
Jayson Werth and Bryce Harper shared the spotlight Tuesday on the first day of full-squad workouts at Nationals camp, the $126 million veteran and the prized prospect spending plenty of time together in the outfield and each looking perfectly comfortable in his new surroundings.
“It’s definitely a new beginning,” said Werth, a three-time division champion with the Phillies suddenly starring for a Nationals franchise that has escaped the NL East basement only once in six years.
“I had a lot of fun out there with everybody,” said Harper, who should be starting his senior season in high school right now yet found himself Thursday on the same field as future Hall-of-Famer Ivan Rodriguez. “We had a blast.”
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera
- Nationals react to Detwiler and LaRoche leaving this offseason
- Ian Desmond goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at Nats Fest
- Zuckerman on the Nats and Bryce Harper's contract settlement
- Storen appreciates Nats' vote of confidence