Feb 22, 2011, 10:23 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Bryce Harper and Jayson Werth shared the spotlight today at Nats camp.
VIERA, Fla. — Sign the 14th-largest contract in baseball history, and you’re probably going to be the center of attention on your first day with your new club.
Unless, of course, one of your new teammates is the most-hyped 18-year-old in a generation.
Jayson Werth and Bryce Harper shared the spotlight Tuesday on the first day of full-squad workouts at Nationals camp, the $126 million veteran and the prized prospect spending plenty of time together in the outfield and each looking perfectly comfortable in his new surroundings.
“It’s definitely a new beginning,” said Werth, a three-time division champion with the Phillies suddenly starring for a Nationals franchise that has escaped the NL East basement only once in six years.
“I had a lot of fun out there with everybody,” said Harper, who should be starting his senior season in high school right now yet found himself Thursday on the same field as future Hall-of-Famer Ivan Rodriguez. “We had a blast.”
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Uggla hoping for starting job, not bench role with Nats
- AL East team scouting Phillies' Jonathan Papelbon
- Report: Nats making lefty relievers available for trade
- Strasburg labors in return from ankle sprain
- Former Nats OF released by Texas Rangers; Ohlendorf to Triple-A
- Nats announce season-opening rotation order
- Zimmerman expects to return in 2-3 days
- Strasburg returns to mound as Nats face Mets
- Storen returns to mound after 2-week absence
- Phillies' All-Star likely to begin season on disabled list