Feb 23, 2011, 11:00 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
After spending the fall at Stanford, Drew Storen is back to baseball this spring.
VIERA, Fla. — One evening in late October, Drew Storen wandered from his dorm room at Stanford University down to the dining hall on the ground floor, where a cafeteria-style dinner and a big-screen TV showing the NLCS awaited.
He sat down at a table where a couple of fellow students were already watching the game between the Phillies and Giants with some keen interest and joined in the conversation with them as the game progressed. At one point, with Shane Victorino at the plate in a key spot, Storen couldn’t help but blurt out what he expected the next pitch to be. When Storen’s prediction proved to be dead-on, his dinner-mates turned to the 23-year-old and gave him a quizzical look.
“How did you know that?” one asked. It took every ounce of Storen’s will power not to retort by saying: “Uh, dude, I struck that guy out on the same pitch one month ago.” Instead, he played coy and replied simply: “I just watch a lot of baseball.”
Most ballplayers spend their offseasons lounging around their homes, physically and mentally recovering from the 162-game grind. Storen, as you can read in my piece for CSNwashington.com, spent his offseason as a full-time student at one of America’s most-demanding universities.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- One MLB columnist expects Lucas Giolito to be dominant in 2020
- Fernandez remains perfect in Miami, Marlins top Nats 4-1
- Tyler Clippard says chasing down the 'beatable' Nats will be 'a lot of fun'
- Nationals acquire Jonathan Papelbon for minor leaguer
- Werth, Zimmerman activated off DL
- Watching baseball with Obama
- Report: Nats 'making progress' in trade for All-Star closer
- Around the NL East: Are Mets moves enough to catch Nats?
- Troy Tulowitzki traded to AL East team in blockbuster deal
- Where will Nationals get their relief from?