Feb 23, 2011, 11:00 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
After spending the fall at Stanford, Drew Storen is back to baseball this spring.
VIERA, Fla. — One evening in late October, Drew Storen wandered from his dorm room at Stanford University down to the dining hall on the ground floor, where a cafeteria-style dinner and a big-screen TV showing the NLCS awaited.
He sat down at a table where a couple of fellow students were already watching the game between the Phillies and Giants with some keen interest and joined in the conversation with them as the game progressed. At one point, with Shane Victorino at the plate in a key spot, Storen couldn’t help but blurt out what he expected the next pitch to be. When Storen’s prediction proved to be dead-on, his dinner-mates turned to the 23-year-old and gave him a quizzical look.
“How did you know that?” one asked. It took every ounce of Storen’s will power not to retort by saying: “Uh, dude, I struck that guy out on the same pitch one month ago.” Instead, he played coy and replied simply: “I just watch a lot of baseball.”
Most ballplayers spend their offseasons lounging around their homes, physically and mentally recovering from the 162-game grind. Storen, as you can read in my piece for CSNwashington.com, spent his offseason as a full-time student at one of America’s most-demanding universities.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Phillies, 7:15 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Phillies, 1:35 p.m.
MON: All-Star break
TUE: All-Star Game at Minneapolis, 8 p.m.
WED: All-Star break
THU: All-Star break
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ian Desmond out but expects to return Saturday
- The Baseball Show: Analyzing the Nationals' first half
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - CSNbaltimore's Rich Dubroff
- X-rays negative on Desmond's hand after shortstop left game
- Nats, Orioles see promise in Beltway Series ahead of Aug. 4 rematch
- Instant Analysis: Orioles 4, Nats 3
- Do the Nationals have a pitching ace? (VIDEO)
- Who is the most underrated Nationals player? (VIDEO)
- Williams tries to keep Nats bench fresh; more on Harper, Rendon
- Nationals at the break: Who's been MVP, biggest surprise?