Feb 23, 2011, 3:10 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jason Marquis will start the fourth game of the exhibition season.
VIERA, Fla. — Jim Riggleman spent some time this morning behind closed doors with a handful of key players off his roster: Ryan Zimmerman, Jayson Werth and Ian Desmond, among others.
The purpose of those meetings: To take suggestions from those players about clubhouse guidelines Riggleman wants to have in place for the upcoming season. The manager said he'll have a few hard-and-fast rules that are "non-negotiable," but he doesn't want to be the one determining everything for a group of 25 men significantly younger than him.
"I want their input on it," Riggleman said. "It's their clubhouse."
Every team is required by MLB to submit some clubhouse standards to league headquarters, so this isn't necessarily something new the Nationals are doing. But there have already been a few occasions this spring in which you've gotten the sense there is a slightly changed dynamic in the Nats clubhouse, a more professional tone that's comingRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Royals host Giants in Game 1 of the 2014 World Series
- Sporting News names Mets pitcher NL Rookie of the Year
- Palm Beach approves funding for Nats spring complex
- Williams named top NL manager by peers
- Nationals roster report: Adam LaRoche
- Marlins' McGehee wins NL Comeback Player of the Year
- Previewing and predicting the 2014 World Series
- Nationals roster report: Ian Desmond
- Phillies coach admits Howard may be better off in AL
- Nationals roster report: Asdrubal Cabrera