Feb 24, 2011, 10:15 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Space Shuttle Discovery launches into orbit, as seen from Space Coast Stadium.
VIERA, Fla. — … and we have liftoff!
Space Shuttle Discovery just launched from nearby Cape Canaveral, making its final journey into orbit before NASA discontinues the shuttle program later this year.
Unfortunately, there was some cloud cover in the area, so we didn't get a clear view of the entire plume of smoke as it traveled up into the outer reaches of the atmosphere. Still, it's always a cool thing to be able to watch one of these in person, and plenty of people turned out today at Space Coast Stadium to watch.
The Nationals held a barbecue on the stadium concourse for members of the organization and their families. Several players were already here filming a commercial for MASN, and as the clock ticked down, they all raced up the third-base stands to watch over the railing in full uniform (as you can see in the below photo).Read more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Dusty Baker on Nationals: "Why not now, and why not me?"
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Tanner Roark bounce back as a starter?
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Joe Ross take the next step?
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?