Feb 24, 2011, 9:24 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jason Marquis hopes to bounce back after a disastrous 2010.
VIERA, Fla. — Jason Marquis knew something wasn’t quite right with his elbow, really, from the moment he started throwing in his first spring with the Nationals. The discomfort, though, didn’t prevent him from pitching altogether. And as someone who had never suffered any kind of significant arm injury during a 10-year, big-league career, he figured he’d be able to battle his way through what appeared to be nothing more than a small blip.
“I pride myself on taking the ball every five days,” the right-hander said. “I felt it was something I could work out and pitch through. Obviously, you saw the results.”
The results, of course, were as ugly as anything you’ll ever see from a major-league pitcher.
“Was it a mistake? Probably,” he said. “But you can’t fault me for wanting to do good and be a part of something and going out there and busting my butt every time.”
Read my full story on Marquis’ attempt to return to form on CSNwashington.com.
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Gonzalez settles down, with help from Scherzer
- Former Nats pitcher earns rotation spot with Texas Rangers
- Ian Desmond ranks highly among shortstops, according to ESPN
- Gio Gonzalez faces Mets in Viera
- Harper sidelined as Nats' injuries continue to mount
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig
- Scherzer dominates Cardinals' "A" lineup
- Harper on criticism, hopes for 2015: 'I want to do damage'
- Marlins pitcher part of sports betting investigation