Feb 24, 2011, 9:24 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jason Marquis hopes to bounce back after a disastrous 2010.
VIERA, Fla. — Jason Marquis knew something wasn’t quite right with his elbow, really, from the moment he started throwing in his first spring with the Nationals. The discomfort, though, didn’t prevent him from pitching altogether. And as someone who had never suffered any kind of significant arm injury during a 10-year, big-league career, he figured he’d be able to battle his way through what appeared to be nothing more than a small blip.
“I pride myself on taking the ball every five days,” the right-hander said. “I felt it was something I could work out and pitch through. Obviously, you saw the results.”
The results, of course, were as ugly as anything you’ll ever see from a major-league pitcher.
“Was it a mistake? Probably,” he said. “But you can’t fault me for wanting to do good and be a part of something and going out there and busting my butt every time.”
Read my full story on Marquis’ attempt to return to form on CSNwashington.com.
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- How did Zimmerman fare in first game action in Viera?
- Nationals play for NL East title tonight in Atlanta
- Has Strasburg earned Game 1 start in playoffs?
- Around the NL East: Braves on the verge of elimination
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug
- LaRoche named finalist for Man of Year award
- Zimmerman ready for game action in Viera
- Strasburg tries to exorcise Atlanta demons