Feb 24, 2011, 9:24 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jason Marquis hopes to bounce back after a disastrous 2010.
VIERA, Fla. — Jason Marquis knew something wasn’t quite right with his elbow, really, from the moment he started throwing in his first spring with the Nationals. The discomfort, though, didn’t prevent him from pitching altogether. And as someone who had never suffered any kind of significant arm injury during a 10-year, big-league career, he figured he’d be able to battle his way through what appeared to be nothing more than a small blip.
“I pride myself on taking the ball every five days,” the right-hander said. “I felt it was something I could work out and pitch through. Obviously, you saw the results.”
The results, of course, were as ugly as anything you’ll ever see from a major-league pitcher.
“Was it a mistake? Probably,” he said. “But you can’t fault me for wanting to do good and be a part of something and going out there and busting my butt every time.”
Read my full story on Marquis’ attempt to return to form on CSNwashington.com.
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats roster preview: Wilson Ramos
- Phillies adjust front office as Gillick becomes full-time team president
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- Nats sign veteran Janssen to bolster bullpen
- Nats roster preview: Ryan Zimmerman
- Bryce Harper has tickets to the Super Bowl
- 2015 outlook: Detroit Tigers
- MLB's Manfred: Montreal has helped case for return of baseball
- Nats roster preview: Yunel Escobar
- Final thoughts on the Max Scherzer signing