Feb 24, 2011, 9:24 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jason Marquis hopes to bounce back after a disastrous 2010.
VIERA, Fla. — Jason Marquis knew something wasn’t quite right with his elbow, really, from the moment he started throwing in his first spring with the Nationals. The discomfort, though, didn’t prevent him from pitching altogether. And as someone who had never suffered any kind of significant arm injury during a 10-year, big-league career, he figured he’d be able to battle his way through what appeared to be nothing more than a small blip.
“I pride myself on taking the ball every five days,” the right-hander said. “I felt it was something I could work out and pitch through. Obviously, you saw the results.”
The results, of course, were as ugly as anything you’ll ever see from a major-league pitcher.
“Was it a mistake? Probably,” he said. “But you can’t fault me for wanting to do good and be a part of something and going out there and busting my butt every time.”
Read my full story on Marquis’ attempt to return to form on CSNwashington.com.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- Significant moment No. 10: Roark makes rotation
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series