Feb 25, 2011, 8:32 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Nyjer Morgan takes off from first base during a baserunning/defense drill.
VIERA, Fla. — Sorry for the late posting this afternoon. The wireless internet at Space Coast Stadium (which had already been spotty all spring) completely went out today. So I've relocated to the Barry Svrluga Memorial Panera press box for a little while to take advantage of some free internet access, not to mention a delicious pumpkin muffin top. (Really disappointed they didn't take Elaine Benes' advice and name this place "Top of the Muffin to You!")
Anyways, today's workout was mostly a quiet affair. A good amount of time in the morning was spent on infield drills, particularly making sure everyone's on the same page when it comes to situations with runners on the corners. The biggest thing I took out of that exercise was that Jesus Flores' shoulder looks pretty good to me. He made several strong throws to both second and third bases and didn't appear to have any trouble doing it. You hate to make any proclamations yet before the games even start, but Flores' injury looks like a thing of the past to me. That's an encouraging thought.
Several rounds of live batting practice highlighted the second half of the workout. I paid particular attention to Yunesky Maya, who looked pretty good during his time on the mound. I can't say I saw anyone make realRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats are in a real pennant race now
- Mets beat Nats 2-1 in epic game capped by Flores walk-off
- Nats' reliever to get second opinion on ailing shoulder
- Catching up with now-Mets pitcher Tyler Clippard
- Mets get Cespedes for big series vs. Nats
- Nats, Mets begin weekend series with first place on the line
- MLB Power Rankings: Hamels, Price, Tulo all get traded
- A formula that could work wonders for Nats
- Nats ride strong pitching to shutout win
- Scherzer on mound as Nats try to take series