Feb 26, 2011, 12:01 AM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Danny Espinosa and Ian Desmond have become friends on and off the field.
VIERA, Fla. — Ask Ian Desmond which of Danny Espinosa’s qualities he wishes he possessed, and the Nationals’ young shortstop gives a surprising answer.
“He’s got a little more swagger than I’ve got,” Desmond said. “He’s got a little more confidence. I think him going to college and me coming out of high school, there’s a little bit of a difference in that aspect. He’s got a little more swagger, more style, more confidence that I wish I have.”
What do you think, Danny? Do you really have more swagger than Ian?
“I don’t think so,” Espinosa said. “He probably does things a little smoother than me, so I’m looking at that as him having more swagger.”
Suffice it to say, neither member of the Nationals’ middle-infield combo is lacking in the confidence department. Each believes he can do just about anything on the diamond, and each believes the other can probably do it even better, as you’ll read in my full article for CSNwashington.com.
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets
- Bryce Harper does a pretty epic videobomb on Anthony Rendon
- ESPN throws shade on Nats' jerseys, calling them among worst in MLB
- On the cusp of majors, Taylor bides his time
- Mets pitcher really, really does not like defensive shifts
- Dodgers sign former Phillies free agent bust