Feb 26, 2011, 12:01 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Danny Espinosa and Ian Desmond have become friends on and off the field.
VIERA, Fla. — Ask Ian Desmond which of Danny Espinosa’s qualities he wishes he possessed, and the Nationals’ young shortstop gives a surprising answer.
“He’s got a little more swagger than I’ve got,” Desmond said. “He’s got a little more confidence. I think him going to college and me coming out of high school, there’s a little bit of a difference in that aspect. He’s got a little more swagger, more style, more confidence that I wish I have.”
What do you think, Danny? Do you really have more swagger than Ian?
“I don’t think so,” Espinosa said. “He probably does things a little smoother than me, so I’m looking at that as him having more swagger.”
Suffice it to say, neither member of the Nationals’ middle-infield combo is lacking in the confidence department. Each believes he can do just about anything on the diamond, and each believes the other can probably do it even better, as you’ll read in my full article for CSNwashington.com.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- A blast and a bloop keep red-hot Nats rolling
- Nats bats come alive late in 6-4 win over Marlins
- Reed Johnson has surgery, could be out a while
- Barrett seizing setup role but watching workload
- Janssen close to big step in rehab from shoulder tendinitis
- Rendon diagnosed with new injury, shut down by Nats doctors
- 'Baseball in the District' - Marlins' voice Glenn Geffner
- The Baseball Show: A turning point last week?
- State of the Nats: An impressive weekend in New York
- Fister pitches Nationals to 2nd straight 1-0 win over Mets