Feb 26, 2011, 7:25 PM EST
VIERA, Fla. — Cla Meredith's chance of making the Nationals' bullpen, already long when camp started, has become even more unlikely.
Meredith, who had to cut his first bullpen session short last week after experiencing pain in his surgically repaired right elbow, had another setback yesterday that required another MRI.
The results of that test (an arthrogram) haven't been read by doctors yet, but Meredith doesn't sound optimistic he'll be allowed to resume pitching anytime soon.
"I'm certainly not any help to myself or the Washington Nationals right now if my elbow's not right," he said.
Meredith, a sidearm-throwing reliever who was a key member of the Padres' bullpen from 2006-09, struggled last season with the Orioles andRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Zimmerman, LaRoche homers lift Nationals over Atlanta
- Nationals split-squads face Braves, Cardinals
- Roark makes emergency start vs. Astros
- Fister scratched from start with elbow inflammation
- Doug Flutie took batting practice at Nats spring training (VIDEO)
- Marlins complain about Red Sox spring lineup, get apology
- Dr. Jobe's impact on baseball was immeasurable
- Zimmermann throws three scoreless in Nats' 3-2 loss
- Zimmermann squares off with Braves again
- 2014 Washington Nationals fantasy baseball preview