Feb 26, 2011, 3:14 PM EST
Read my updated story, with observations from today's live BP session and quotes from Chien-Ming Wang and Steve McCatty, on CSNwashington.com.
VIERA, Fla. — Chien-Ming Wang, attempting to pitch for the Nationals this season after missing all of 2010 recovering from shoulder surgery, will make his first spring training appearance next week against minor leaguers.
Wang is slated to pitch at least one inning Friday in an intrasquad game featuring members of the Nationals' accelerated minor-league program. It will be his first game appearance since a pair of one-inning outings in the Florida instructional league in October.
The Nationals hope Wang, who had major surgery to repair his right shoulder socket in 2009, will be ready to pitch in official Grapefruit League games soon but didn't want to thrust him into that fire quite yet.
"It's uncharted waters recovering from that operation," manager Jim Riggleman said. "We're just being ultra-conservative and not going to put him out there against somebody in the other uniform yet, where maybeRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Past failures fuel Barrett to bounce back
- Phillies lose to Division II baseball team in spring exhibition
- Live BP features Scherzer, broken bat, anthem
- Marlins ace Fernandez takes big step in Tommy John recovery
- Now a Dodger, Rollins says another NL East team was his 2nd choice
- Ex-Nats prospect could start for Braves in CF
- Harper wants to be a one team player
- Scherzer and Strasburg learning from each other
- Nationals' Saturday workout is a washout
- Nats sign veteran lefty Hill to minor-league deal