Feb 27, 2011, 6:36 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jesus Flores has participated fully in camp and is ready to play in games.
VIERA, Fla. — Sometime during tomorrow’s Grapefruit League opener in Port St. Lucie, Bryce Harper will trot out of the Nationals’ dugout and assume his position in right field. All eyes will focus on the 18-year-old, curious to see how he handles his first big-league exhibition game.
Around the same time, Jesus Flores will take his spot behind the plate, drawing far fewer eyes. Make no mistake, though: Flores’ first appearance in a big-league game in nearly two years is in its own way just as significant a development as Harper’s ballyhooed debut.
Sidelined since May 2009 with a major shoulder injury, Flores is finally healthy again and ready to resume a career that looked like it was about to take off before he got hurt.
“I’m excited about it,” the 26-year-old catcher said. “I want to show everybody that Jesus Flores is back. It’s not a shoulder issue anymore. For me, it’s done. It’s over with.”
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera