Feb 27, 2011, 6:36 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jesus Flores has participated fully in camp and is ready to play in games.
VIERA, Fla. — Sometime during tomorrow’s Grapefruit League opener in Port St. Lucie, Bryce Harper will trot out of the Nationals’ dugout and assume his position in right field. All eyes will focus on the 18-year-old, curious to see how he handles his first big-league exhibition game.
Around the same time, Jesus Flores will take his spot behind the plate, drawing far fewer eyes. Make no mistake, though: Flores’ first appearance in a big-league game in nearly two years is in its own way just as significant a development as Harper’s ballyhooed debut.
Sidelined since May 2009 with a major shoulder injury, Flores is finally healthy again and ready to resume a career that looked like it was about to take off before he got hurt.
“I’m excited about it,” the 26-year-old catcher said. “I want to show everybody that Jesus Flores is back. It’s not a shoulder issue anymore. For me, it’s done. It’s over with.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Monday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Monday's early games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1
- Barrett's role expanding with September surge