Feb 28, 2011, 8:41 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Bryce Harper reacts to striking out in his first at-bat of the spring.
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — Bryce Harper's first at-bat in a big-league spring training game didn't last long, and didn't produce the result the 18-year-old Washington Nationals phenom or the crowd at DigitalDomain Park wanted.
And his second at-bat wasn't much better.
Harper struck out twice in two plate appearances, swinging and missing at offerings from Mets left-hander Taylor Tankersley and right-hander Ryota Igarashi.
Inserted in the game in the fifth inning as a pinch-runner for designated hitter Matt Stairs, Harper got his feet wet on the bases, then had to sit in the dugout for a while before getting his chance with a bat.
He came up to bat in the top of the seventh inning and swung at all three pitches he saw from Tankersley, fouling one off and then missing mightily twice at breaking balls. The crowd of 3,461 at the Mets' springRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season
- LaRoche, Desmond and Fister take on the ice bucket (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Nationals go for eighth straight win against Arizona
- State of the Nationals' bullpen: Exhausted
- Around the NL East: Are the Marlins legit contenders?
- LaRoche finally gets to savor first walk-off homer
- Nats beat Diamondbacks in third straight walk-off win