Feb 28, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
DigitalDomain Park, spring home of the New York Mets.
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — Let the games begin.
The Grapefruit League begins this afternoon for the Nationals, who open exhibition play against their division rivals from Queens at the recently renamed DigitalDomain Park. Just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?
The big story today, of course, is Bryce Harper's debut. The 18-year-old outfielder made the trip but is not in the Nats' starting lineup. He's slated to enter sometime later in the game and get at least one at-bat. He won't be facing Mets starter Mike Pelfrey, but there's a decent chance he'll face veteran reliever Jason Isringhausen, who is slated to come out of the bullpen for New York.
Chad Gaudin, attempting to make the roster as either the No. 5 starter or as a long reliever, gets the nod for the Nationals. The right-hander will throw either two or three innings, depending on his pitch count. Other pitchers scheduled to appear today include Craig Stammen, Brian Broderick, Doug Slaten and Todd Coffey.
Several regulars (Ryan Zimmerman, Jayson Werth, Adam LaRoche, Ivan Rodriguez) did not make the trip today and will make their debuts tomorrow at home. But we will get a good look at the double-play combo of Ian Desmond and Danny Espinosa, Nyjer Morgan in center field and both Wilson Ramos and Jesus Flores behind the plate.
Plenty of updates to come, so be sure to check back throughout…
NATIONALS AT METS
DigitalDomain Park, Port St. Lucie
Gametime: 1:10 p.m.
TV: SNY (New York), MLB.com (live online), MLB Network (tape delay, 9:30 p.m.)
Weather: Sunny, 82 degrees, Wind 19 mph out to LF
CF Nyjer Morgan
SS Ian Desmond
LF Roger Bernadina
RF Mike Morse
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Wainwright wants Bryce Harper to take it easy on him (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Fernandez face off as Marlins host Nats
- Nats owner Mark Lerner on the Wizards’ broadcast (VIDEO)
- Braves fear both Medlen and Beachy need Tommy John
- Nats' Jordan takes on fearsome Tigers lineup
- Mets Wheeler admits it's hard not to think about 2015
- The Baseball Show: How good will Bryce Harper be in 2014?
- Podcast: Baseball in The District - Sammy Solis talks spring
- Harper, Detwiler lead Nationals against Mets
- Purke, Taylor among latest round of Nats cuts