Feb 28, 2011, 5:29 PM EDT
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — Willie Harris emerged from the third-base dugout at DigitalDomain Park this morning with a smile on his face and a bounce in his step. Just like the guy Nationals fans came to know over the last three years.
Except for the Mets uniform he was wearing.
"I miss my guys," said Harris, who signed a minor-league deal with New York over the winter. "I miss being over here with these guys, but unfortunately you have to move on. When one door closes, another door opens. I'm looking forward to this opportunity I have in New York and plan on making the best of it."
Harris hoped to return to Washington after his contract expired at the end of the season. His contact with the Nationals, though, was minimal and he gave up hope when he heard through the grapevine they were more interested in adding right-handed bats off the bench. (They wound up signing Jerry Hairston to fill Harris' super-utility role.)
Coming off a down year in which he hit .183 with 10 homers and 32 RBI in 132 games, Harris had to settle for a minor-league deal with theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Friday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Friday's games
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmerman's back as Nationals face Marlins
- The Baseball Show: Are Nats favorites in National League? (VIDEO)
- Nats rolling and about to become complete
- Fister, Nats do enough right to get by Marlins
- Zimmerman rejoining Nats, likely to play Saturday
- Fister seeks win No. 15 tonight in Miami
- His thumb healthy, Harper tearing it up at plate
- Gonzalez makes case for postseason start
- Bryce, Gio continue late-season surge in 6-2 win
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?