Feb 28, 2011, 5:29 PM EDT
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — Willie Harris emerged from the third-base dugout at DigitalDomain Park this morning with a smile on his face and a bounce in his step. Just like the guy Nationals fans came to know over the last three years.
Except for the Mets uniform he was wearing.
"I miss my guys," said Harris, who signed a minor-league deal with New York over the winter. "I miss being over here with these guys, but unfortunately you have to move on. When one door closes, another door opens. I'm looking forward to this opportunity I have in New York and plan on making the best of it."
Harris hoped to return to Washington after his contract expired at the end of the season. His contact with the Nationals, though, was minimal and he gave up hope when he heard through the grapevine they were more interested in adding right-handed bats off the bench. (They wound up signing Jerry Hairston to fill Harris' super-utility role.)
Coming off a down year in which he hit .183 with 10 homers and 32 RBI in 132 games, Harris had to settle for a minor-league deal with theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- MLB Power Rankings: Marlins falling, Phillies rising
- Where the Nats stand at the quarter pole
- Mark Zuckerman gives his take on Harper, Williams ejections
- Harper stories from his college teammate, Chasen Shreve
- Scherzer on his start, chocolate sauce & Harper-Miggy
- That time Stephen Strasburg was on Letterman
- After shaky 1st inning, Zimmermann cruises
- Nationals Stock Watch: Other hot bats besides Harper
- Hershey's pitches in to help Nationals continue sweet celebrations
- Harper, Williams strongly disagree with ejections from win vs. Yankees