Mar 1, 2011, 11:40 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Danny Espinosa watches his fourth-inning homer sail over the fence.
VIERA, Fla. — It's probably not possible to establish an identity after only two spring training games, but the Nationals sure are trying their best. If there's any broad theme that can be taken out of their two Grapefruit League victories over the Mets (9-3 yesterday, 5-3 today) it is the aggressive manner in which this team has run the bases and played in the field.
Every time you look up, someone is attempting to steal a base or advance from first to third or hustling after a ball in the field.
Yes, it's only March 1, but some members of this roster are attempting to establish a particular tone right now.
"You have to set a tempo now, I believe," rookie second baseman Danny Espinosa said. "You can't just go through the motions here and expect to, when you get out there in the season, turn a switch on and expect to play at a level that you're not used to."
What is that tone these Nationals are trying to set?
"I think there's a new energy that we're trying to bring," Espinosa said. "We have a good team, and we want everyone to know that we're going to beRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Roark, Ramos lead Nationals past Cubs 2-1
- Nats pregame music choice irks Phillies, they promise payback
- Roark gets the start for Nats at Wrigley
- State of the Nats: Rolling into Wrigley for Bryant vs. Harper
- Harper showing he can excel at 'the little things'
- Advice from teammates helps Gio get back on track vs. Phillies
- Anthony Rendon to take big step forward in rehab this week
- Strong Gio start secures another series win for Nats
- Nationals aim for another series win against Philly
- Still no answer for Strasburg's woes