Harper’s a hit in second game

Mar 1, 2011, 10:13 PM EDT

Photo courtesy Bill Scheuerman
Bryce Harper connects for his first hit of the spring.

VIERA, Fla. — Bryce Harper sat around his spring training apartment Monday night and rather than stewing over his two-strikeout debut for the Washington Nationals, took a more upbeat approach.

“I went home and I started laughing about it, actually,” he said.

The pressure of his first Grapefruit League game behind him, the 18-year-old phenom talked to his father, Ron, about the experience and on Tuesday morning watched video of the previous day’s 0-for-2 performance in Port St. Lucie.

A minor adjustment that involved keeping his hands closer to his body paid immediate dividends. In his second game of the spring, Harper collected his first hit: an opposite-field single in the fifth inning of the Nationals’ 5-3 victory over the New York Mets.

Read my full story on Harper’s eventful day on CSNwashington.com.

1. Aussie Gus - Mar 1, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Mark/GregAs someone who used to do websites for a living, I really like redesign.I usually read the blog on my Blackberry, and this version not only loads faster, but is much easier to read on the mobile browser.I didn't see the site on my computer until now, so I am guessing the grey background and larger font is a nod to all the whingers, I mean fans.

2. horocha - Mar 1, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Ack. Enough about Harper! What's next, reporting on his bathroom breaks? He got a single, for heaven's sake. He's 1 for 4 for the spring. And he won't be with the club in April. How about something about the pitchers who seem to be doing fairly well so far (esp Detwiler, who might actually be in the starting rotation this April). Or Morse, who is fighting (and may be winning) a spot in the lineup?

3. Rat Man - Mar 1, 2011 at 10:46 PM

He's earned his beer for today. Guinness for Harper and Budweiser for Bixler.

4. Anonymous - Mar 1, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Been desiging UI for the desktop metaphor since the 80's. There are very good human factors reasons why black-on-goddess-teeth-white is less preferred to something like a nice light parchment color Aussie Gus. We leave that up to the student to find out why.

5. Anonymous - Mar 1, 2011 at 10:55 PM

@horocha,Suggest you read Boz's columns. His latest is about how Nats brass (both in the FO and on the field) are chuckling under their breath in giddy anticipation. Apparently the long wait for our prospects to finally arrive may finally be over. In addition they have additions like Maya and Gorzelanny. If what they see in spring training leads where they think …we might be looking at a surprise team for the 2011 season … not just the offseason.

6. Farid - Mar 1, 2011 at 11:15 PM

Greg/Mark:I am stunned and happy that instead of getting angry at all the negative feedback (which I would have done), you continued to rework the site until–without a question–it is now near-perfect and a joy to read.I hate saying anything negative and it hurt to say those things, but that banner really was difficult to look at. Now it's great, maybe better than great.Your listening to us has made me even more a MZuck fan. You did good, boys, you did good.

7. Positively Half St. - Mar 1, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Mark-It's been fun watching the site evolve over the day. Let this be an indication of how much I have refreshed it. I am going to be a more actively engaged fan of CSN because they hired you. A 2-0 start is so much better than last year's 0-11.+1/2St.

8. Positively Half St. - Mar 1, 2011 at 11:17 PM

It would be great if you could steal an idea from sportspyder.com. They post all the tweets dealing with the Nats from all sorts of sources on the right side of their page.+1/2St.

9. Original Nats Fan - Mar 1, 2011 at 11:23 PM

thank you, thank you the header is perfect and the gray background is so much easier on the eyes. I come here off and on all day for the best in sports reporting on the Nats WTG CSN

10. Ernie - Mar 1, 2011 at 11:30 PM

Or if you can't do what +1/2 St. suggests, at least posting Mark's tweets would be a help.Who said design by committee was such a bad thing? I kind of like camels!And for those sick of the Harper news (it is starting to chafe a bit), I'm sure we'll be done with it before long. He's only going to be around for another week or two before he disappears to the minor league camp. And at that point we'll have to put up with those who are begging for MORE Harper news…One last thought, since I'm being whiny: I also can't stand the new "oppo boppo" thing. It sounds like you're talking to a kindergartner. Likewise the term "no-no", but I'll gladly put up with that if the Nats actually put up one this year!

11. natsfan1a - Mar 1, 2011 at 11:30 PM

Already posted in the redesign thread because I figure it's easier on Greg to check for site comments in one place. That said, I'll add my thanks for the, imho, quick response to feedback and incorporation of change requests. Thanks to both Mark and Greg for soliciting and reacting to feedback with grace and alacrity.

12. John - Mar 1, 2011 at 11:31 PM

Will Morgan still be here in April?

13. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 1, 2011 at 11:53 PM

I'm still getting used to the eyespan on a mobile, but the rails seem to be squeezing me a bit as I scroll on this Dwa Expensiva. But overall, you're in the right direction.

14. Sunderland - Mar 1, 2011 at 11:54 PM

I'm in the "tired of hearing about Harper" category as well. Heck, yesterday Morse hits two homers and the lead is Harper striking out twice. If Harper does something newsworthy, then let's hear about it. (No headline for Corey Brown's first hit?).

15. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 1, 2011 at 11:55 PM

And Ernie, I hate camels, but I love the reference.

16. Sec 3, My Sofa - Mar 1, 2011 at 11:59 PM

And I would like to associate myself with the comments of my esteemed colleagues, 1a and Sunderland.

17. Feel Wood - Mar 2, 2011 at 12:59 AM

"One last thought, since I'm being whiny: I also can't stand the new "oppo boppo" thing. It sounds like you're talking to a kindergartner."Oppo boppo is Harper's own terminology, you know. Of course, it was not all that long ago that he was in kindergarten.

18. A DC Wonk - Mar 2, 2011 at 2:45 AM

So, what's with the "eye-black"? I thought folks were telling Harper not to wear it?

19. Anonymous - Mar 2, 2011 at 3:12 AM

Eye black is allowed. Just not the full-face war paint that Harper used to wear.

20. Harper_ROY_2012 - Mar 2, 2011 at 3:42 PM

If any other catcher was behind the dish other than Norris, Harper's throw would have been the stuff of legend!PS – LOVE OPPO BOPPO