Mar 1, 2011, 10:13 PM EDT
Photo courtesy Bill Scheuerman
Bryce Harper connects for his first hit of the spring.
VIERA, Fla. — Bryce Harper sat around his spring training apartment Monday night and rather than stewing over his two-strikeout debut for the Washington Nationals, took a more upbeat approach.
“I went home and I started laughing about it, actually,” he said.
The pressure of his first Grapefruit League game behind him, the 18-year-old phenom talked to his father, Ron, about the experience and on Tuesday morning watched video of the previous day’s 0-for-2 performance in Port St. Lucie.
A minor adjustment that involved keeping his hands closer to his body paid immediate dividends. In his second game of the spring, Harper collected his first hit: an opposite-field single in the fifth inning of the Nationals’ 5-3 victory over the New York Mets.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats trending up after big week
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury