Mar 1, 2011, 10:13 PM EDT
Photo courtesy Bill Scheuerman
Bryce Harper connects for his first hit of the spring.
VIERA, Fla. — Bryce Harper sat around his spring training apartment Monday night and rather than stewing over his two-strikeout debut for the Washington Nationals, took a more upbeat approach.
“I went home and I started laughing about it, actually,” he said.
The pressure of his first Grapefruit League game behind him, the 18-year-old phenom talked to his father, Ron, about the experience and on Tuesday morning watched video of the previous day’s 0-for-2 performance in Port St. Lucie.
A minor adjustment that involved keeping his hands closer to his body paid immediate dividends. In his second game of the spring, Harper collected his first hit: an opposite-field single in the fifth inning of the Nationals’ 5-3 victory over the New York Mets.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season
- LaRoche, Desmond and Fister take on the ice bucket (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Nationals go for eighth straight win against Arizona
- State of the Nationals' bullpen: Exhausted
- Around the NL East: Are the Marlins legit contenders?
- LaRoche finally gets to savor first walk-off homer
- Nats beat Diamondbacks in third straight walk-off win