Mar 1, 2011, 10:13 PM EDT
Photo courtesy Bill Scheuerman
Bryce Harper connects for his first hit of the spring.
VIERA, Fla. — Bryce Harper sat around his spring training apartment Monday night and rather than stewing over his two-strikeout debut for the Washington Nationals, took a more upbeat approach.
“I went home and I started laughing about it, actually,” he said.
The pressure of his first Grapefruit League game behind him, the 18-year-old phenom talked to his father, Ron, about the experience and on Tuesday morning watched video of the previous day’s 0-for-2 performance in Port St. Lucie.
A minor adjustment that involved keeping his hands closer to his body paid immediate dividends. In his second game of the spring, Harper collected his first hit: an opposite-field single in the fifth inning of the Nationals’ 5-3 victory over the New York Mets.
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span proving skeptics wrong with summer surge
- Zimmermann, Nationals go fishing in Miami
- State of the Nats: Deal or no deal before the MLB trade deadline?
- Consistency propels Nationals to NL's best record
- Nationals hang on to beat Reds 4-2
- Instant analysis: Reds 1, Nationals 0
- Roark, Nats win 4-1, hand Reds seventh-straight loss
- Denard Span leading the way for Nats in July
- Roark, Nats look to bounce back in Game 100 of 2014 season
- The Baseball Show: Should the Nats make a trade? (VIDEO)