Mar 1, 2011, 6:32 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Shoulder soreness is preventing Adam LaRoche from playing the field for now.
VIERA, Fla. — Adam LaRoche made his spring training debut for the Nationals today, but not at the first base position he's expected to man for at least the next two seasons.
A case of shoulder soreness is restricting LaRoche to designated hitter duties for now, though the 31-year-old insists he'd be able to play if the calendar showed early April instead of early March.
"No question," he said. "Without a doubt. I wouldn't hesitate. But I don't want to stupidly turn it into something that it didn't have to."
LaRoche isn't exactly sure what precipitated the discomfort. He said he began feeling it shortly before arriving in Viera.
"I can't pinpoint anything," he said. "I've never had an arm injury in my career, and I really don't want to call it an injury. It's just a little sore."Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- If healthy, Zimmerman should be in Nats lineup
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine
- Nationals' backups fall to Braves in series finale in Atlanta
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter