Mar 1, 2011, 6:32 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Shoulder soreness is preventing Adam LaRoche from playing the field for now.
VIERA, Fla. — Adam LaRoche made his spring training debut for the Nationals today, but not at the first base position he's expected to man for at least the next two seasons.
A case of shoulder soreness is restricting LaRoche to designated hitter duties for now, though the 31-year-old insists he'd be able to play if the calendar showed early April instead of early March.
"No question," he said. "Without a doubt. I wouldn't hesitate. But I don't want to stupidly turn it into something that it didn't have to."
LaRoche isn't exactly sure what precipitated the discomfort. He said he began feeling it shortly before arriving in Viera.
"I can't pinpoint anything," he said. "I've never had an arm injury in my career, and I really don't want to call it an injury. It's just a little sore."Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss
- Mike Rizzo: Cabrera deal was made out of necessity (VIDEO)
- Nats make deadline move for Asdrubal Cabrera
- Gio, Nats host Phillies for first of four-game set at Nationals Park
- On deadline day, Nationals have decisions to make
- Nationals Stock Watch: Roark leading Nats' rotation
- Nationals get a big rally, then hang on for dear life
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip