Mar 1, 2011, 6:32 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Shoulder soreness is preventing Adam LaRoche from playing the field for now.
VIERA, Fla. — Adam LaRoche made his spring training debut for the Nationals today, but not at the first base position he's expected to man for at least the next two seasons.
A case of shoulder soreness is restricting LaRoche to designated hitter duties for now, though the 31-year-old insists he'd be able to play if the calendar showed early April instead of early March.
"No question," he said. "Without a doubt. I wouldn't hesitate. But I don't want to stupidly turn it into something that it didn't have to."
LaRoche isn't exactly sure what precipitated the discomfort. He said he began feeling it shortly before arriving in Viera.
"I can't pinpoint anything," he said. "I've never had an arm injury in my career, and I really don't want to call it an injury. It's just a little sore."Read more »
NLDS: NATIONALS VS. GIANTS
SAT: Game 2 at Washington, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3 at San Francisco, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4 at San Francisco, TBA (FS1)*
THU: Game 5 at Washington, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals draw Giants in NLDS after Wild Card win
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs