Mar 1, 2011, 6:32 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Shoulder soreness is preventing Adam LaRoche from playing the field for now.
VIERA, Fla. — Adam LaRoche made his spring training debut for the Nationals today, but not at the first base position he's expected to man for at least the next two seasons.
A case of shoulder soreness is restricting LaRoche to designated hitter duties for now, though the 31-year-old insists he'd be able to play if the calendar showed early April instead of early March.
"No question," he said. "Without a doubt. I wouldn't hesitate. But I don't want to stupidly turn it into something that it didn't have to."
LaRoche isn't exactly sure what precipitated the discomfort. He said he began feeling it shortly before arriving in Viera.
"I can't pinpoint anything," he said. "I've never had an arm injury in my career, and I really don't want to call it an injury. It's just a little sore."Read more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos