Mar 1, 2011, 6:32 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Shoulder soreness is preventing Adam LaRoche from playing the field for now.
VIERA, Fla. — Adam LaRoche made his spring training debut for the Nationals today, but not at the first base position he's expected to man for at least the next two seasons.
A case of shoulder soreness is restricting LaRoche to designated hitter duties for now, though the 31-year-old insists he'd be able to play if the calendar showed early April instead of early March.
"No question," he said. "Without a doubt. I wouldn't hesitate. But I don't want to stupidly turn it into something that it didn't have to."
LaRoche isn't exactly sure what precipitated the discomfort. He said he began feeling it shortly before arriving in Viera.
"I can't pinpoint anything," he said. "I've never had an arm injury in my career, and I really don't want to call it an injury. It's just a little sore."Read more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Blevins' awkward 24 hours ends with K of Harper
- Werth crosses big hurdle in shoulder rehab
- Nats face Mets in final Viera game of the spring
- PHOTO: New Mets pitcher faces Nats one day after they traded him
- Rendon seeking 3rd opinion on injured knee
- Mark Zuckerman joins STL to talk about Nats' injury problems
- Janssen unlikely for opener with shoulder tendinitis
- Knee injury concerns go next level for Anthony Rendon
- Nats sign veteran outfielder recently cut by Marlins
- Nats trade lefty reliever to Mets for veteran outfielder