Mar 1, 2011, 4:00 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Wilson Ramos slides in ahead of Mike Nickeas' tag in the top of the fourth.
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — So, believe it or not, Bryce Harper wasn't the only player of consequence in today's Grapefruit League opener. Quite the contrary, a number of other members of the Nationals did a number of things of interest during their 9-3 thumping of the Mets.
Really, it was a well-played game by the Nats, who rapped out 14 hits, got four innings of scoreless relief from Brian Broderick, Doug Slaten, Todd Coffey and Adam Carr, got a pair of homers from Michael Morse, got some nifty and aggressive baserunning from several guys and got mostly solid defense out of everyone.
Let's run through, bullet-point by bullet-point, the significant developments of the day not involving a certain 18-year-old outfielder who struck out twice…
— Michael Morse was a beast at the plate. The only member of the starting lineup to stay in the game the entire way, Morse went 3-for-5 with a pair of late home runs. He crushed a slider from Taylor Tankersley over the left-field fence in the top of the seventh, then went "oppo-Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sweep Giants behind Zimmermann, Ramos
- Two Giants ejected after arguing call vs. Nationals
- Live Thread: Nationals face Giants in Sunday night matchup
- Harper voted All-Star starter in record-breaking fashion
- Many unknowns in Strasburg's latest injury
- Strasburg placed on the 15-day DL with oblique strain
- For Nats, second half begins with high expectations
- Strasburg exits early in Nationals' 9-3 win
- Strasburg leaves game early due to apparent injury
- Harper on using patriotic bat on the Fourth: "Why not?"