Mar 2, 2011, 9:27 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Rick Ankiel, once a pitching phenom, has resurrected his career as an outfielder.
VIERA, Fla. — The newly acquired outfielder walked across the clubhouse, approached the young pitcher and extended his arm.
“Hey, I’m Rick Ankiel,” he said.
“Nice to meet you,” Stephen Strasburg replied.
These kind of introductions happen during the first few days of camp every spring. Guys exchange a few pleasantries, and that’s that. They’re now teammates.
In this case, there was perhaps a bit more meaning behind the intro. Because a dozen years ago, Rick Ankiel was Stephen Strasburg, a supremely talented pitching phenom drawing all kinds of attention for his exploits on the mound.
If anyone can relate to the hype machine Strasburg found himself in last season, it’s Ankiel. Not that he feels the need yet to impart his wisdom on the kid.
“From what I’ve seen, it looks like he’s got a pretty good grasp of what’s going on and how to handle himself,” Ankiel said. “It doesn’t appear that he really needs any help, in my opinion.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Monday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Monday's early games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1
- Barrett's role expanding with September surge
- Strasburg starts, but several regulars sit today