Mar 2, 2011, 3:18 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The sun is back out in full force today at Space Coast Stadium.
VIERA, Fla. — It's another beautiful day in the paradise otherwise known as Viera. After yesterday's rain and menacing clouds, we've got bright sunshine today for the first of way too many meetings this season between the Nationals and Marlins.
John Lannan gets the start, but I'm more interested to see how Yunesky Maya looks out of the bullpen. Maya drew rave reviews for his performance in the Dominican this winter, and he's looked sharp so far in camp, though there's only so much you can gather from bullpen sessions and live BP.
Some news on other pitchers: Both Tom Gorzelanny and Chien-Ming Wang will appear in Friday's minor-league intrasquad game. Nothing wrong with Gorzelanny; it's just the way the schedule sets up, and we'll probably see him in a big-league game next week.
Meanwhile, reliever Henry Rodriguez has arrived at last from Venezuela and is taking his physical today. The Nats will slowly work him into the mix, with bullpen sessions and live BP before he pitches in a game.
Also, you'll notice Nyjer Morgan is not in the lineup today against his good friends from Florida. Given his history with the Marlins, it would be easy to read something into this. But really, Nyjer's sitting this one out only because he started the last two days. "He'll get plenty of action against the Marlins [later this spring]," Jim Riggleman assured.
Plenty of updates to come throughout the day, so be sure to check back…
MARLINS at NATIONALS
Space Coast Stadium, Viera
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
Weather: Partly cloudy, 74 degrees, Wind 17 mph LF to RF
CF Roger Bernadina
LF Rick Ankiel
RF Laynce Nix
3B Ryan Zimmerman
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera
- Nationals react to Detwiler and LaRoche leaving this offseason
- Ian Desmond goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at Nats Fest
- Zuckerman on the Nats and Bryce Harper's contract settlement
- Storen appreciates Nats' vote of confidence
- Markakis to have neck surgery 2 weeks after signing with Braves
- Stephen Strasburg goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at Nats Fest
- Nats, Harper settle on 2-year deal, avoid hearing