Mar 2, 2011, 2:42 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — Cla Meredith, signed by the Nationals over the winter after having bone chips removed from his elbow, now has a torn ligament that requires Tommy John surgery.
Meredith, a Richmond native who pitched in college at VCU, will undergo the ligament replacement procedure today in Washington, according to a Nationals spokesman. Team orthopedist Wiemi Douoguih, who examined Meredith in person yesterday, will perform the surgery.
Recovery time from Tommy John surgery is typically 12-to-18 months. At best, Meredith would be ready to return next spring.
The Nationals had high hopes for Meredith, who was a key member of the San Diego Padres' bullpen from 2006-09 but struggled last season with the Baltimore Orioles. Shortly after the season ended, Meredith had arthroscopic surgery toRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg leaves Nats win over Marlins with injury
- Nats overcome rough start, win 7-4
- Nats look for fourth consecutive series win vs. Marlins
- Fan dies after fall from upper deck at Atlanta Braves game
- Nats gain a rare game on the Mets with win over Marlins
- Zimmermann, Nats bounce back to top Marlins
- Span's season is over, and maybe his Nats career as well
- Nats look to get even against Marlins
- Werth bobblehead release gets pushed back
- Turner looks comfortable in debut at second base