Mar 3, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Roger Dean Stadium in Jupiter, home of the St. Louis Cardinals.
There's no question how important this season is for Jordan Zimmermann, who after battling back from Tommy John surgery is fully healthy and poised to develop into the quality starting pitcher the Nationals felt they were getting before he got hurt.
Today, Zimmermann takes the mound for the first time this spring, facing a split-squad Cardinals lineup that still boasts some fearsome hitters (Albert Pujols chief among them). The right-hander has enjoyed a good camp so far; now we'll see how that translates into actual confrontations with opposing batters.
Plenty of regulars made the trip to Jupiter for today's game, including Jayson Werth, Ian Desmond, Ivan Rodriguez and Nyjer Morgan. Other pitchers scheduled to appear after Zimmermann include Garrett Mock, Shairon Martis, Todd Coffey, Doug Slaten and Adam Carr. Bryce Harper also was on the travel roster and is expected to come off the bench.
Since I'm back in D.C. now, there won't be mid-game updates. But please continue the discussion with each other, and if there's any significant news from Florida, I'll do my best to pass it along…
NATIONALS at CARDINALS (ss)
Roger Dean Stadium, Jupiter
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 75 degrees, Wind 21 mph in from CF
CF Nyjer Morgan
SS Ian Desmond
RF Jayson Werth
1B Michael Morse
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- MLB Power Rankings: Hamels, Price, Tulo all get traded
- A formula that could work wonders for Nats
- Nats ride strong pitching to shutout win
- Scherzer on mound as Nats try to take series
- Papelbon aiming for saves record, hopes to co-exist with Storen
- On Harper's blasts and Nats' new-look pen
- Report: Phillies trade Cole Hamels to AL West team
- Mets SS cries on field after learning of trade that didn't happen
- Harper homers twice into upper deck, Nats beat Marlins 7-2
- Report: Mets' trade for All-Star falls through