Mar 4, 2011, 2:53 PM EDT
The Nationals made their first cuts of spring training this morning, re-assigning left-hander Matt Chico and right-handers Joe Bisenius and Shairon Martis to minor-league camp.
All three pitchers had been removed from the 40-man roster during the offseason, and though they were invited to big-league camp, none had a realistic shot of heading north with the club and none got much of a chance to make a statement this spring.
Chico and Martis each appeared in one Grapefruit League game, each tossing one inning of relief. Bisenius never got into a game before getting sent down.
Friday’s moves leave the Nationals’ roster at 58. Another round of cuts is expected within a few days, with top prospect Bryce Harper possibly among the casualties.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Werth officially set to return from DL vs. Miami
- Nats' NL East rival trades for former fan favorite Clippard
- State of the Nats: Thinking big before the trade deadline?
- Strasburg to take big step in rehab on Wednesday
- Report: Padres wanted ex-prospect back from Nats in Kimbrel trade
- The Baseball Show: A rough start to the second half
- Brutal stretch for Nats has end in sight; Taylor's heating up
- Cole pitches Pirates past Nationals 3-1
- Rendon sits, as Nats aim for series split with Pirates
- Does weeklong tear mean Desmond is back?