Mar 4, 2011, 2:53 PM EST
The Nationals made their first cuts of spring training this morning, re-assigning left-hander Matt Chico and right-handers Joe Bisenius and Shairon Martis to minor-league camp.
All three pitchers had been removed from the 40-man roster during the offseason, and though they were invited to big-league camp, none had a realistic shot of heading north with the club and none got much of a chance to make a statement this spring.
Chico and Martis each appeared in one Grapefruit League game, each tossing one inning of relief. Bisenius never got into a game before getting sent down.
Friday’s moves leave the Nationals’ roster at 58. Another round of cuts is expected within a few days, with top prospect Bryce Harper possibly among the casualties.
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Watch Werth arrive at jail in Fairfax to begin sentence
- Braves trade Hale, sign former Nats catcher
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Angels
- Nationals roster preview: Jose Lobaton
- 2015 outlook: Kansas City Royals
- Werth pleads guilty to reckless driving, will serve jail time
- Williams to host Super Bowl party with Mark Wahlberg & Michael Bay
- Report: Rafael Soriano in talks with AL East club
- Marlins introduce Ichiro in Japan: 'His body says he’s 30 or less'
- Nats roster preview: Wilson Ramos