Mar 4, 2011, 2:53 PM EDT
The Nationals made their first cuts of spring training this morning, re-assigning left-hander Matt Chico and right-handers Joe Bisenius and Shairon Martis to minor-league camp.
All three pitchers had been removed from the 40-man roster during the offseason, and though they were invited to big-league camp, none had a realistic shot of heading north with the club and none got much of a chance to make a statement this spring.
Chico and Martis each appeared in one Grapefruit League game, each tossing one inning of relief. Bisenius never got into a game before getting sent down.
Friday’s moves leave the Nationals’ roster at 58. Another round of cuts is expected within a few days, with top prospect Bryce Harper possibly among the casualties.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Wainwright wants Bryce Harper to take it easy on him (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Fernandez face off as Marlins host Nats
- Nats owner Mark Lerner on the Wizards’ broadcast (VIDEO)
- Braves fear both Medlen and Beachy need Tommy John
- Nats' Jordan takes on fearsome Tigers lineup
- Mets Wheeler admits it's hard not to think about 2015
- The Baseball Show: How good will Bryce Harper be in 2014?
- Podcast: Baseball in The District - Sammy Solis talks spring
- Harper, Detwiler lead Nationals against Mets
- Purke, Taylor among latest round of Nats cuts